Simcity 4: Could not initialize direct draw

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by lieb39, Feb 8, 2003.

1. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Hello.

I just got Simcity 4. Install went fine, but than when I want to run the game I get a message saying "Could not initialize DirectDraw" I click OK and Simcity contiunes to load. however i get no picture whatsoever, so I am forced to exit. Help! What Do I have to do? I will be upgrading from Directx 8.1 to 9.0 tonight, but will that fix the problem?

Thanks.

2. lieb39

I installed DirectX 9.0 but still no luck. Perhaps this could help people out there figure out my problem. Look at the screenshot...
    Btw, I have 128mb of Ram on my graphics card. I am going to try the drivers that came with my card, not the latest ones from nvidia. the ones that came with my card are 40.72.

Help!

3. TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja BR to Some

Hi,
    I had difficulties trying to get Sim City 4 to run, and eventually found out that it was because i was trying to Force Anti-Aliasing to something other than the default setting in the Detanator drivers.

When i set this back to default it worked every time.

Its not exactly the problem you have but it may help.

4. lieb39

Found my problem. Forum rules doesn't allow my to say what my problem was and how I fixed it.;)

Thanks.

5. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

does the guidelines actually list this? :D

6. lieb39

Because I get PM due to this topic being #3 (and most relevant) on Google, i'll just hint off that the solution (according to my memory) has something to do with lacking (no) the cd-rom disc (cd) while playing, perhaps through a crack or similar? Who knows? :p (hint: bold)

-lieb39

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

whoa! 3 yrs 3mths & 21 days ago.. approx. lol :p