Signed Drivers!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dave holbon, Jul 7, 2002.

1. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Is there some inherent problem with companies gaining certification for their drivers in XP?

Whilst most large companies have XP or 2000 drivers for their products not that many have signed drivers.

Do you have to pay huge amounts to obtain these signed drivers? Or visit MS’s temple of worship at midnight wearing a black tie and rolled-up shirt?

Why?

2. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Catch22:

Then why is the world not awash with signed drivers?

3. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Probably because the companys are rushing to get the drivers out so there products will be supported by xp and they dont care about whql... it really isnt a big deal at all

4. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

If there’s one thing I’ve leaned over the years about software drivers (especially graphic cards drivers) is that they have been responsible for more system crashes than just about all other items added together.

I can’t envisage any operating system working correctly if some of its core components are full of bugs. It might not be such an issue nowadays as device drivers have a higher profile and hence attract higher quality programmers but to me it’s a worry. Two no-signed driver = instability.

5. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Surely can't spend the money they have now (unless Anderson is cooking tonight).

6. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM