Shortening IDE cables.

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all I am currently in the process of a major PC rebuild and one of my numerous tasks to do is to sort out the messy wiring. I have already shortened my floppy cable and rounded it (heat shrink), my question is can IDE cables be shortened by cutting them off at the slave connection ??? Will they then properly act as just a single IDE cable ??

Cheers

in theory, yes. i've never heard of anyone doing this, though. good idea.

if you do it, it might be a good idea to cover the bare wire ends with electrical tape or something... to prevent interference (ide cables are prone to this) or shorting.

I have done this to my server tower, Looks really sharp too!! 1 IDE to the HD (Primary) and 1 IDE to CD (Secondary), both hacked off at the master connection. Cut off all the extra power supply wiring too, removed the A drive all together as well. For an old tower and old power supply, it looks really clean inside.

Heeter

I would say that as there are 40 lines to the master and 40 lines to the secondary, you would need to remove the Master plug part and re-attach it further down the cable. Thats how I would do it anyway

Geffy I only want to use 1 device on it so my question is can i cut the wire off (flush to the secondary connector) and will the cable then properly behave as a short single device true master cable

heeter did it and says it works. besides, both connectors tap into the same 40 wires. the other 40 are all ground wires to keep the first 40 from giving each other interference.

Yeah, Taurus, IndyJones.

It works just fine. No problems whatsoever.

Heeter

yeah it definitely works - done it myself too on my dads old PC - had the wiring looking superb in that machine - it was a shame to upgrade it in the end lol

:D Funky cheers for the help one and all! :cool:

*My hot tip is simular to shorten floppy cables you can simply cut the wire off the otherside of the secondary connection and use this secondary to plug into the motherboard, (you must keep the twist at the primary end).*

Then you achive a short floppy cable hope that gives people ideas once again thanks :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back