Shell pack and replacer: At a loss here.

Blade195

OSNN Addict
I've downloaded a few shell packs and the replacer. I made a folder for the replacer and threw all the zipped contents in there. Now I ran the program and a command prompt (kinda window) popped up asking me to drag and drop the ORIGINAL files which I want to replace to the command prompt window.

I don't know where the original files are for the icons. Can anyone tell me which folder to replace? :confused:

Thanx

The original files are the system files you want to replace. Most of them should be located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32".

I'm sure your shell packs come with a shell32.dll file. To replace it, simply drag the original shell32.dll from "C:\WINDOWS\system32" into the command prompt window. Then it will ask you to drag the file you want as a replacement, so drag the shell32.dll that came with the shell pack.

Voila. :)

o_87 said:
The original files are the system files you want to replace. Most of them should be located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32".

I'm sure your shell packs come with a shell32.dll file. To replace it, simply drag the original shell32.dll from "C:\WINDOWS\system32" into the command prompt window. Then it will ask you to drag the file you want as a replacement, so drag the shell32.dll that came with the shell pack.

Voila. :)

It's actually spelled "voila." ;P

Yep, the shell32.dll is probably the one you're looking for... like o_87 already stated. :)

OMG, i used the GUIreplacer and i couldn't boot up to windows. Kept on getting a blue screen with some errors right after the WINDOWS XP loading screen while booting. And the computer would reboot again and again forcing me to format and reinstall windows. Such a bad experience with the icon for me. It is my first try, and I really want to have the icons like you guys. Especially GANT 2... :(

Now I'm too afraid to use the icons. Is there a sure way to do this?

My computer is in the following state:
1) Reinstalled Windows XP
2) Installed all the critical updates
3) Installed Mozilla Firefox, Zonealarm, Adaware, Spybot

Side question: Is PatchXP and UXtheme the same? Is one better than the other? Thanx~

EDIT: Now, I'm going to try your way with the normal Replacer instead of the GUI replacer. hope this don't mess things up again :(

I think with GUIReplacer you replaced your system files with the wrong version. Always make sure that the files with the icons you want are the right version! You were messing with system files, caution and backups are necessary :)

So do you have SP1 installed at the moment or not? If you do, make sure the files you get are for SP1, if not, make sure they are NOT for SP1.

And if you have SP1 or SP2 Beta installed, be sure and use the lastest version of the UXTheme Patcher. There's a link to it in the GUI thread.

Backup didn't help me because the windows wouldn't even load after the problem occured.

I have SP1 installed (Waiting on SP2 to go final). Can anyone post me a link to the right version of GANT 2 for SP1? Or at least tell me how to check what version of windows the shell pack is for.

I've replaced every original .dll files with the new ones i downloaded for GANT 2. Then I did the same for the .cpl files.

My recycle bin, My computer, and a few other icons still remain the same. What steps have I missed?

Does everyone use this method, or does everyone just use the new ocean pack?

The new ocean pack replaces more files. You'll probably be happier with using that one.

Okay, the new ocean pack is for SP1 right?
Why do i get the problem when i install it? Could it possibly be becuz of my windows installed in Korean? I have SP1 and every other critical updates installed... but not SP2 for sure.

Gosh, i really want those icons...

one more thing... do i have to have my windows xp home cd inside the cd rom for the installation of the ocean pack to work?

Blade195, this is from the author of the shell packs in response to a poster on his website.

"Are you on a English version of windows XP SP1? I hope you are, coz this pack is only meant for english versions of windows XP SP1"

So you answered your own question really. It seems that you're not going to have complete success with this pack unless you're using the English version. Sorry about that.

oh, alright. Thank alot for the reply. At least now I can forget about it, knowing it certainly won't work on my OS. I hope a multi language version is made. it looks so nice, and I'm kinda sick of the original xp icons.

But you do have many of them working, right? Maybe we can figure out another way to get the rest of the icons working on your system. Have you tried changing your computer and recycle bin icons through the Desktop Items window of your Display Properties? You could change them there and that should make them stay. What else are you having trouble with?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back