Sharing Win XP Printer with Win 95

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ukexpat, Mar 29, 2002.

1. ukexpat

ukexpat Guest

I have a home network based around a Linksys 8 port router/hub. Main machine runs Win XP Pro. I want to share the Win XP box's printer with a Win 95 laptop.

Printer is set up as shared on Win XP box, but I cannot find it on the laptop when it is attached to the network. Any ideas?

TIA.

2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

On the xp machine make the printers share name the ip address of the the machine. So it would look like

\\xpmachine\192,168.0.1

I have done this because I had the same problem, it works, just don't ask me why. :D

3. ukexpat

ukexpat Guest

Thanks for the tip -- unfortunately when I try to use that form as the share name on the XP box, I get an error message that the name cannot contain / \ or . etc

4. Twink

Twink Guest

make sure the machine name, and share names have no spaces, and aren't larger than 8 characters. 98 boxes can't seem to seem them, but XP and 2k machines can

5. ukexpat

ukexpat Guest

OK I'll try that. Thanks.

6. ukexpat

ukexpat Guest

It worked!!

That did it -- thanks so much. I still cannot browse to the printer but entering the path by name (having changed the share name to less than 8 characters in length on the Win XP box) worked like a charm.

The sooner I get rid of this Win 95 box the better!!

7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Whoops I didn't explain that very well

When you share your printer it will automaticaly give it a share name, mine comes up as "Epson Stylus Colour 880"

Just call it 192,168.0.1 or whatever the ip address of the machine, the slashes will show up by themselves :eek: