Sharing Drives under "My Computer"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I have a tower that holds all my files, running WinXPHome, All the drives are shared. Other than the Windows being installed on "C:" all other three file drives are "X:" "Y:" and "Z:" . They are showing up in my other two computers under "My Network Places", but how can I make them show up under "My Computer"? Is there a howto that I can use? Google search is not turning up exactly what I am looking for. All three computers are using WinXPHome.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I think you might be refering to mapped drives.
    Open up My Computer, click Tools>Map Network drive and enter the UNC path of the shared drives (eg: \\192.168.0.1\Drive_Name).
    Check the "Reconnect at logon" box if you want the drives to be mapped each time you restart the computer.

Hope that was what you were looking for. :)

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Just a heads up.

If the computer with the shared drives is not turned on when you boot the other computers you may see a long delay in boot up (they can't find the shared drives and take a while to time out).

4. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Thanks guys,

Leejend, my "server" tower just happens to be on all the time, it is an FTP server as well. Good thing you pointed that out. I did not know that.

Will try that, NetRyder. Right away.

Heeter