Shared DSL Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wessleym, Apr 7, 2004.

1. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

I currently have a shared DSL connection using my Alienware as a gateway with a USB modem connnected to it. All computers on the network have to run through my computer to connect to the Internet. Is there any modem I could buy that would not require my computer to be on for other computers to connect?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You would need a router, and the set up would look like this:

[​IMG]

Some commonly recommended manufacturers to look into: Linksys, D-Link, Netgear.
    Thread Moved: Applications-->Networking

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

You would probably also be better off getting an ethernet DSL modem as USB isn't good for networking connection, and finding a router with a USB WAN port would be a challenge.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ah, didn't notice the USB part. Nicely spotted. [​IMG]
    I haven't really seen routers with USB WAN ports. Do they even exist?

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Not sure, never looked, but assuming that since they aren't common [to me], my guess is they are more expensive and money would be better spent on getting the right hardware instead of forcing the USB.

6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

You can get ethernet to usb adapters, which i'm told are pretty lame.
    I would also recommend getting a router/modem in one, just to cut down on the number of boxes and cabling

7. rokin blenda

rokin blenda nubletâ„¢

8. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

9. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Man, thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I was planning on trashing my USB DSL modem, so this stuff is perfect.

10. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Is it a USB/Ethernet Modem? My friend's DSL modem is. If not, Im sure you could call your ISP and get an ethernet one.

11. iamtaylormade

iamtaylormade One Step from The Edge

Before selecting either one, consider your bandwidth requirements. USB1.1 is obviously much slower than that of USB2. It doesn't matter what your comps USB is rated at, what does matter is the rating of your router/switch/hub or whatever device you may have in your network. The slowest link in the network will most likely be the common denominator, therefore you may want to consider the ether connection (100Mb). If you really need some high end throughput, consider a gigabit router/switch but I would recommend staying away from the USB variety unless the manufacturer specifically states that the USB throughput is USB2.
    Just something to think about.