share Printer ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mooo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

I just got a HP usb printer. I was wondering what the best cheapest way to share it to the other desktop and the laptop i have in my room ( 3 pc's, 2 usb and 1 parallel). The laptop only has 1 usb port and that is for keyboard. and right now uses parallel.
    i tried to look at www.microcenter.com but wasn't sure exactly what i needed.

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

That would depend on how often you will be printing, how big th printer is and whether you're in a network or not.

1) If it's a small-ish printer you could always move it around the house when printing is required - obviously this could be a hassle.

2) Install the printer on one machine and share it between the computers (if networked).

3) If you print very often and have a home network, you may decide that a print server would be more appropriate - less moving around, no (pc) server required when someone wants to print, but does cost a bit.

I'd say go for the first two options if you don't want to spend any money. But if you really want more convenience than anything, then a print server would be the better option. I chose this option because I have a wireless network and didn't to leave a pc on whenever my sister wants to print from downstairs.

3. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

well i mean, i can spend like $60 if need be, but cheaper the better :)

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

do you have a home network?

5. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

yes, the 2 decktop pc's are networked together, but the laptop is not networked or online.