setting up a wireless connection

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tittles, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Hey all

I have never set up a wireless connection with just one computer and I was wondering what do I do to have just a modem,router and a laptop. They dont have a pc so I can't do it that way.

The setup wizard wont let me go farther unless I have a pc connected to the router and not just the laptop.

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Comon Tittles! be a man and set it up manually, the wizard is for wimps :p

Basically you need to go into the router's config and setup an SSID and security (either WEP or WPA) and configure the laptop accordingly. It would be best to use wired while doing this and then switch to wifi after the encryption is setup.

3. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Well I figured it out. There modem is all messed up and you gotta wiggle the ethernet cable on the modem for it to know its plugged in.

Also found out that when they got the laptop the other day they could get online even tho they didn't have internet at the time. So when I was installing all the crap I noticed there was another wireless access that said linksys even though I was going thru netgear so I connected to it and I got online. So I think the laptop picked up a signal from a nearby house. It was a weak signal but it worked. I should of ****ed with it but I was worried about getting my aunts connection going and leaving since I have a date if you wanna call it that tonight.

Thanks though :)