Setting up a home-server

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Glaanieboy, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I have been planning to buy a simple computer to act as a server for months now and now I have seen a nice pc. Here are the specs:
    Intel Pentium II 350Mhz
    128Mb
    4,3Gb HDD (will probably be like 20 GB)
    Sound (will be removed)
    CD-Rom
    LAN
    I am trying to get full specs, but you get the idea. I want to install something like FreeBSD on it, because that's the most widely used and the most reliable, I understand from others. Further there will be Apache, PHP, MySQL installed. I also want to FTP to it and the machine will be connected to the internet through a router. What I want to do with it is to put my forums and website (based on PHP and MySQL) on it, putting my first steps into the world of server-computing and maintaining and allow other to view the contents and maybe more.
    Will this machine be sufficient, or should I get a better CPU or more RAM? Is there anything else I have to watch for? Is there a guide for this (for dummies like me, I have never done this before).

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

More memory would be nice, but not essential unless it's going to have a fair few users/processes. Take a look at Geffys box, that's running 433mhz/256mb and it performs quite well (until it tried to host winamp5 :p :D ) I know that X-Istence has a good guide over on his site for setting up qmail.

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Aha. I think I go for it anyway, just in case. And 128MB SD(?)-RAM isn't too expensive these days.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

SDRAM costs more than ddr now because its going out of production. 350 PII is way too slow and 128m is useless for a server.

At least get a K6 450mhz class chip and 256 meg RAM.

What is it going to serve? Just Internet sharing?

5. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Geffy was really great in helping me out with my setup, pretty much the same as yours. His instructions were clear and precise.

Heeter

6. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

For a long time, my trusty 350Mhz box (Eagle) served as my linux server. With 256MB RAM, it ran Apache, PHP/MySQL, an IRC Server, a couple IRC bots, a mail server, Samba, and a couple other small things. A 350Mhz with a good amount of ram (256+) would make a excellect basic home server.

JJB

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Agreed, and FreeBSD's port system makes installing anything (that has a port) super easy. make install clean checkmate XP :p

8. My servers a P3 500mhz, 256mb SD, 2gb hard drive.

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I have Windows 2003 Server running on a 266 with 128MB of RAM. It runs my FTP server, Webserver, DNS, RIS and a bit more at home. I would say that unless you are looking at hosting 20+ people, what you have should be sufficient. I know you are all talking about BSD, but I just wanted to show that even with the bare minimums you will still get a fair amount of power.

11. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

My Uncle's mailserver, DNS server, FTP server is P3 @ 800, 1GB ECC SD-Ram, 40Gb Hard disk, now that's what I call a server

Skazzy

12. Geffy

That was due to my 256k upload not any incapability of the server though ;)

13. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I have seen a Dual PIII 650 with 1 GB RAM and a 250 GB harddisk at an auction. It was eventually sold for 500 euros/dollars/350 pounds.
    But, say I am gonna buy this machine, a RAM upgrade would be sufficient (to 256 MB)? And harddrive of course. Or can I better save a little more money and buy a cheap AMD/Celeron-system instead? Like a 1800+ with 256 MB DDR?
    Oh, here's a list what I am gonna do with this system:
    -explore the world that is called 'server' (*nix based, probably FreeBSD);
    - hosting a few people for educational purposes (I am studying to be an ICT-controller, so this comes in handy).
    - Software: Apache, MySQL, PHP, FTP-server, probably mail-server.
    - Put it into my internal network as a network-storage device.

As you can see, this is just for toying around, to learn.

14. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I don't think you need something that beefy for just a few users. That PC would be capable of hosting 50-100 users easy. If you have the money then you can't go wrong with buying that... If money is an issue then you couple probably go with something single processor and almost half the speed. That's just my opinion. :)

15. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

*points to first post* That's the machine I am planning to buy. It's really basic and unless I am getting a 1024 Kbits upload, this is for simple server purposes. Just as a try-out.

16. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

My server is currently a 900MHz AMD Duron, 256MB PC2100 DDR and a 20GB HDD. Debian Linux "Sarge"

JJB

17. Geffy

That should be fine glaanieboy also thats basically what I use my server for as well :p

18. jvjb1983

jvjb1983 Guest

Don't let the stats scare you. Your system will be able to handle what you want it for with no problems.

My good O'll AMD K6-2 400 Mhz is still running Windows 2003 RC1 since the first day it came out. With only 256 MB ram and a 8 GB HDD. I run it for testing purposes so I have PHP, Oracle 8i(1 DB), ASP.NET and use it for website development. I host a few Mpeg's on it and it seems to be maxing out my upload for months now. Fact is that's not much, only 640 kbps (maxes at 69 KB/Sec).

This system has been up now for 168 Days, no glitchs.. Yet...

19. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Thanks for the input guys. Still no word from the store about exact specs... :angry: