Service Pack 1 Add/Remove or Sytem Restore.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

When installing Service Pack 1 there is the option to archive which puts it into Add/Remove. But of course there is also System Restore, which lets you return to the state before Servioce Pack 1 was installed. Do we really need both, and if not which is preferable?

2. kenlester

kenlester Guest

System restore will not restore all the files installed. I would say keep the archive around for a couple of weeks.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I concur...

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

If you have System Restore enabled, a restorepoint is created in any case during installation. I created an additional one before starting anything, just to be sure. The add/remove option is basically a different thing. If you are not too limited in diskspace (about 220MB needed) take this option too. If you for instance decide to remove it in 6 weeks, you will loose any changes you made during this time if you use System Restore. Further it is not sure if you still have an pre-SP restorepoint then. It depends on diskspace allocated to Systemrestore and on how many new rest.points you create.
    If everything works fine and you need the space, you can remove the backups at any time. So I would recommend the save way.

5. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks for the advice.