Serious security problem for domain!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fimchick, Mar 23, 2006.

1. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

please help! i just found this today, by accident -- I was adding a pc to the domain and when prompted for the username/password i left both fields blank and pressed enter...and it worked. i just tested a blank username and password on our vpn and it worked as well!!!

how is this possible??? is there somewhere I can look to see what it is and turn this damn hole off?

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

2. fimchick

Addendum -- after i connected with blank username/password, the Routing and Remote Access connection status showed my username (i'm domain admin) listed as one of the connected clients. As soon as i disconnect, it's gone...

what the???

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Time to audit all the users in your admin groups. :)

I was just going over the way to add a comp to a domain... it's done within the PC I believe....

MSKB

4. Under Member of, type [your domain] for the Domain, and then click OK.

The Domain Username and Password dialog box appears. You must supply an account that has privileges to join the domain.

I didn't know you could, but VPN can be configured to use blank username, password.

Example

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
    fimchick likes this.
  4. fimchick

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out a minute ago. I never thought about it, but the local admin password on all our machines is the same as the Administrator password on the domain. SOoooo, when I would hit enter, it would simply pass the same credentials over: username: administrator password: xxxxx and it would go through! wow, pretty scary for a few mins.... =]

5. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Change the Domain password - more secure policy.

Why? I can hack a local admin password with 1 reboot. If I get lucky, one day I'll try that pass on the domain. ;) I don't hack, but I do know what a couple of right clicks AS a domain admin can do. :eek:

6. fimchick

Yeah, I changed it immediately :D Can't believe this happened!

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That's scary for more than a few minutes, but glad you discovered it.

My personal preference, disable the "administrator" account on the domain level. I prefer to enforce usernames 110% so it's easier to track through logging. I'd rather see someone named "john_doe" access a resource than "administrator", because that could be anyone with the credentials.

That, plus if the account gets out, all hell breaks loose :eek: