Serious Problem with Display

ming

OSNN Advanced
Im not sure if it's due to my graphics card but Im getting vertical streaks of dots on boot up on my desktop PC. This has only started to happen last night after I got home from work. The other problem is that sometimes the display would just go blank during windows startup (just after the windows startup logo disappears).

Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how I might be able to fix it. Im a bit worried coz it's just over 12 months since I bought the card and has cost me an arm and a leg to get it. :(

Attachments

• DSC00659.JPG
    DSC00659.JPG
    559.8 KB · Views: 118
I think I would be worried also - any overheating or other issues with your GFX card?

Im not too sure if it has overheated or not. I haven't done anything that required intensive processing from the GPU such as playing games or stress testing.

EDIT: I can't load windows anymore coz this problem causes the system to stall.

its the graphics card for sure, i've had the same issue, one thing you could do it make sure the gpu fan is working another is trying to put a different v/card in to test, if you have one handy....

also if your bios supports it look at the temperatures of the cpu and gpu plus the fans speeds in the bios and let us know what they are?

I don't have another PCI-e card here as this is the first machine to be using the new slot. The fan on the GPU is working and I have placed a room fan to assist the ventilation.
Those line appear as soon as the POST screen shows up. I've spoken to the retailer which I purchased from, and they say that the manufacturer only offers 12 months warranty on the product so there's not much I can do now.

do you have a friends machine you can test the card on?

Nope... they all use AGP :p

think i might just order a cheap gpu to use for the time being.. until I upgrade my machine again.

how about sending it to ep or some other member in the uk to test to see if it works on their machines... or perhaps contacting a mom and pop comp store to see if they would allow you to test it on there comps, but i'm pretty sure the card died.... pretty ****ed up though.... was is o/c'ed?

I would bring it into my store to test it out on the PCs there, but again, they're all AGP as far as I recall.

I've not OC'd the card as I have no need to do so.
I agree with you... I'm 80% sure that the card is somewhat dead. :'(

boy - we should run a kinda brand/model blacklist for us to know what may be bad at OSNN..... then we should consider adding this card? .... I am really somewhat surprised - not least as this was pretty much the card I had in mind when I finally have to move along from my present AGP cards....

You got my sympathy Ming

ming the only other thing, i could suggest which maybe far out, it that your monitor is gone or that the pins aren't in or bent? have you tested or looked at the monitor, on some systems it can cause the system to crash if the monitor is bad.

It could be the monitor, but check the properties of the card and see if anything has changed that you notice. Check the color quality to see if it’s 16 or 32bit.

Make sure the card is still seated properly.
Unhook the monitor cable; inspect it for damage (if it’s ok) reconnect it.

Then if everything looks fine with the card properties and it’s seated properly, cables fine then I think I would completely uninstall the card and then reinstall the drivers and see what happens.

First off, my monitor is definitely perfect, will show graphics if signal is there. I've connected the monitor to my laptop and am typing this reply using the monitor.
Secondly, I can't check colour quality between 16 and 32 bits as windows won't show up.
Lastly, can't uninstall or reinstall drivers since windows wont show up as mentioned previously.

hmmm someone didn't read the post thoroughly :)

If the card is just out of warantee call gigabyte and raise hell with them. They might le tyou do an RMA. You are still screwed since that will take 6 weeks or more.

I feel for you. I only have one PCI-e machine also (and 3 spare AGP cards). The closest buddy I have who has pci-e is 1000 miles away and he just got it last week. These socket changes a real nuisance.

The 6600 GT is probably as cheap as it gets for PCI-e and a card that will actually run recent games.
http://www.epcbuyer.com/products.asp?recnumber=9703

or if you want a little more performance this card has a full 256 bit wide memeory interface.
http://www.epcbuyer.com/products.asp?recnumber=9706

Avoid the ATI 300,700,1300 and 1600. they are over priced for the performance.

Last edited:
That would be me, I missed that edit part.:)

I still think it’s worth a try to reseat the card.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode.

That would be me, I missed that edit part.:)

I still think it’s worth a try to reseat the card.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode.

nope, i didn't bother coz as I mention in the very first post.... the problem occurs even before windows begin to load.

man bush you really need to read the whole post he cant EVEN boot the machine at ALL

lol.... im gona have to back lancer on that comment. hehe :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back