Security Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by XpGuy1, Oct 28, 2002.

1. XpGuy1

XpGuy1 Mindless Poster

I have 2 computers sharing a dsl connection over a wireless lynksys router. One of the computers will not work with Zone Alarm so I removed it and the preformance increased 2 fold.. my other computer is running Zone alarm and not having anyproblems or issues. My question is if the router has a built in firewall? do i still need a firewall on my pc?? Can i get away with one of my machines not having a firewall on the pc?

2. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

London England
    Some types of wireless connection are not secure at all (nature of design). Please could you give more details?

Generally I’d use a hardware firewall to all machines connected to anything using this type of connection. Zone Alarm (software firewall) is great on home machines but not on permanent connections, it’s just too easy to get round given the time and resources.

There are some secure wireless networks coming into the market that use 128 bit encryption and higher but these are expensive and slow in comparison to hard wired WAN’s. Don't use RSA encryption it's been broken.
  3. RabidPenguin

RabidPenguin Guest

Any firewall is easy to get around with the time and resources.