Security Patch...has anyone installed this?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gballard, Dec 22, 2001.

1. gballard

gballard Moderator

Windows XP Security Patch: Unchecked Buffer in UPnP can lead to system compromise

This update resolves the “Unchecked Buffer in Universal Plug and Play Can Lead to System Compromise” security vulnerability in Windows XP. Download now to prevent a malicious user from compromising your computer, or using it to interfere with another computer's operation. The vulnerability results because the Windows XP Universal Plug and Play feature does not correctly validate inputs before using them. The patch also eliminates the vulnerability discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-054.

I downloaded this and double-clicked it to run the install and noticed it said to update my System Recovery Disk....ummm...I don't have a System Recovery Disk to begin I guess my question is how do I make one? and how do I update it? I have done some digging on my own but can't seem to find an answer to it. Any help would be appreciated. Gonna hold off on the patch until I get this done I guess.

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Go ahead and install the patch. When you're done, open "backup" and select "advanced mode." Go to the pull-down menu "tools" and select "ASR Wizard" to create your system recovery disk.
  3. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Want to make a clarification there, Lonman. ASR Wizard works for XP Pro Edition ONLY
  4. existenz

existenz Guest

how come the patch didn't ask me for this?

I am running Windows XP Pro, and it just extracted and installed and I rebooted. No system recovery thing.

Am I missing out on something?