Search

crono_logical

Bird Eater
Is there any way to prevent XP from searching in zip files when I'm searching for stuff across all my drives? It makes the computer unresponsive temporaily, and I know what I'm usually looking for will not be in a compressed folder. Thanks :p

From WinXPNews:

Disable Windows Search for Looking inside Zip Files

The Windows XP Search feature allows you to find the stuff that's lying around your hard disks. But those hard disk searches can get painfully slow if you have a lot of compressed archive files (like .zip and .cab files) lying around your disks. You can speed your searches by disabling this feature. Just open the Run command from the Start menu and type the following in the Open text box:

regsvr32 c:\winnt\\system32\ zipfldr.d l l /u
(d l l with no spaces)

Then do your Search. If you want to turn this feature back on again, just run the above command again, but without the "/u" switch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back