search In XP For the desktop Not internet.

M

max man 3d

Hi there ,

After Haveing problems for days now and reinstall Windows XP..

I came across Another problem with the search engine when trying to do a search on my computer.

It came back with this error when I run the search ( A file is required to run Search Companion cannot be found . ) You may need to run setup.

Whats that going on about and is there away of fixing this problem or do I have to go an install XP all over again ..

I would like to fix this as I dont what to install it all over as it takes so long to set it all up ..And this is a new install as it is..

So please help out if you can thank you..

you dont have to reinstall again. There is an inf file that will reinstall the search feature. The only problem is that i forgot the name of the inf file. I knoew it has been discussed on the forum, so try a search. In the meantime i will try to remeber the name. :)

Found on www.TweakXP.com:

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:
%systemroot%\inf

NOTE : There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

Click OK to open the INF folder.
Locate the file Srchasst.inf .
Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Search needs to proceed normally.

You will be asked to place your windows XP cd rom in the drive.

Having the same problem with the search function for no apparent reason. Applied advice from yoyo, but still no go. I get a popup "search companion" window with exclamation mark, but no search is performed. I've installed SP1 if that has any bearing.

Any advice?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back