Screensaver kicks in while watching DVD

freightgod

Confused and Bewildered
This isn't happening on my system...ANYMORE that is because I don't run screensavers. However a friend of mine just got a new off the shelf system and he's experiencing this problem: while watching a movie on DVD the screensaver will come on as if there were no system activity.

I don't know (and he can't remember) what program he's got for viewing DVDs but i remember I once had the same problem running PowerDVD. Like I say, I don't use screensavers anymore so I don't have the problem but was wondering if anyone had any clues as to how to fix this for him.

We're both at work at the moment so we can't actually try anything until he gets home. However I've assured him that this is the place to get the answer if there is one to be had.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I know this is kind of a wise ass reply, but it's not meant to be...

He doesn't care to disable the screensaver before watching the movie, and then re-enabling it after in the Display Properties panel?

Unless the monitor is from the 80's, screen savers are fairly usless aside from looking cool.

Or maybe trying a DVD program that offers a "disable screen saver while in use" function of some sort?

I just enabled a screensaver with a 1 second wait time and started to play a DVD with PowerDVD without it kicking in, so I guess I will solve my friends problem by making him a cop...ahem, by encouraging him to buy a retail copy for himself...

hey anyone here know any new good screensaver out there

Thanks for the insightful reply, Fossil, I'll be sure to follow your suggestion. I think you may have finally solved the problem. Thank goodness you came along and posted something relevant to the topic.

I find the best thing to do is constantly move the mouse while watching the DVD.

That was a joke btw.

Seriously mine does the same thing and it is really irritating, i'm afraid i think it is dependant on mouse movement so unless they software supports is then I don't think you have much choice about it.

Nearly forgot to ask:

hey anyone here know any new good screensaver out there?

most software ive used/seen has the function mentioned above to disable screensaver while watchin video (since why do it on audio only lol) try lookin in video options of the software most have that function since every1 likes havin it when they watch a movie if they have a screen saver

If using WMP for DVD playback, it does have an option to disable screen saver during playback.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back