Screen tear during games..

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by donkey, Jul 13, 2002.

1. donkey

donkey Guest

While playing games, there is a tear in the screen. For example, in NBA Live 2001, the players shorts get spearated and it tears then reconnects and just flickers.

Why is this happening? I have the 29.42 det drivers (Geforce 4 MX 440) and have used the refresh lock as well.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Sounds like those players have been eating some of those refried beans. :D

3. donkey

donkey Guest

Also, I play in 1280x1024x32. At this mode, the tear is alot more noticeable.

In the refresh lock configuration, it says at 1280x1024x32, the safest refresh rate is 60 and at 800x600x32, the safest is 100. When I play the game in 800x600, the tear is nearly all gone but the game looks crap.

If I over-ride the safety 60 value in the refesh lock to say 85 for 1280x1024x32, will this harm the monitor or the system.

If it might, is there anyway to get a refresh rate of more than 60Hz while playing in 1280x1024x32.

Thanks

4. razor_ro

razor_ro OSNN Addict

How can you fix that problem??!?!?!?

Try buying a new monitor, ...... if the only refresh rate available at 1280x1024x32 is 60hz, that means that thats the most your monitor can handle.... try using 1024x768x32 @ 75Hz, your monitor might support that.......

RaZoR

5. donkey

donkey Guest

My monitors only 3 weeks old. I could try running the game at 1024x768x32 @ 75Hz but it just doesn't look as good at 1280x1024x32 but if it means no more tears, I'll just do it.

If I set my 1280x1024x32 to make it run @ 85 Hz or higher (Meaning an unsafe frequency), what's the worst that can happen. The game just look bad or can something be damaged.

6. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

mabye having vsync off is causing it

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

You can burn out the monitor if it will allow you to go over stock speeds, without an out of sync warning. but by rights the monitor will just pop a black screen saying it wont work at those levels. and unless you have above a GF3 TI500 i would stick at 1024x768 for gaming.

8. donkey

donkey Guest

Vsync is already turned on. Hasn't been turned off at all. I havent actually run any higher than 60 Hz at 1280x1024x32. I'll just try it to see if it fixes the problem.

I might just have to use a lower resolution for this game. All other games (GTA 3, MOH:AA) work and look fine at 1280x1024x32 just not NBA Live 2001.

9. avsdotcom

avsdotcom Guest

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your monitor ? Rather than just using the default XP drivers, I found that using the correct drivers gave me better refresh rates - for example I used to be able to get 85hz @ 1024x768, but with the correct drivers I can now have 100hz)
    It may also be worthwhile using the NVRefresh Tool which can be found in the downloads section of this site - as WinXP will default to 60hz when playing games. Hope that helps :D

10. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

60hz? damm how old your monitor?just set it to optimal...under display settings doesnt it give you the highest your monitor can handle?

11. donkey

donkey Guest

It's only 3 weeks old. Practically brand new. Under the monitor settings, it gives me the highest safest frequency which is @ 85Hz.

I could use refresh lock to make it run at say 100Hz but am unsure if and what damage it might do to my monitor.

Can you really notice a difference between say 60Hz and 85Hz. Like is it real noticeable.

12. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

yup

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yup frm me too about the above difference thingy