screen for operating system choice?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by KMA, Jun 30, 2003.

1. KMA

KMA Guest

Ok..after lots of work fixing a botched xp puter....I managed to set the boot screens to ask me what operating system I want to use.
    It's a Black screen like a Dos screen with white letters, and it comes before the "loading windows" know... the one with the blue bar that moves.

Anyway..I had some how made a new choice.. called "1" and want to do away with that AND loose that screen.

But I forgot how I got there to turn that on OR trun it off.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your time.

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Right click My Computer
    Select Properties
    Select the Advanced Tab
    Select Startup and Recovery
    Uncheck "Display List of Operating Systems..."
  3. KMA

KMA Guest

ok..I see that...but I also see that I have what looks like 2 sets of everything...It looks like my C drive has 2 windows on it.
    How do I merge them or delete one of them?
    With out losing anything.
    Programs are there..but under the old user name.
    any Ideas ?

4. KMA

KMA Guest

Maybe this helps out...
    "1" is my old system...with programs.
    "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" is the new user that is blank

[boot loader]
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
  5. polarbear_ak

polarbear_ak OSNN Junior Addict

Denver, Colorado
    not sure how you installed two operating system on 1 computer and 1 harddrive to the same folder, but I would just delete the line multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="1" and the dos promt should go away. and just load windows xp or if you are nervous about doing that I would just change the timeout=30
    to something like 5sec or even 1 sec just put a 1 instead of a 30 and it will probally just load windows xp right away.