scanning for wireless networks

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
i was wondering what program you guys would suggest for scaning and finding wireless network, such as driving in a car and scaning for networks (wardriving). i am just interested.

Erm well most network cards come with a scanning utility, erm but xp has a built in one, u thinking bout driving around with ure lappy until u can find a wireless network then nick their bandwidth, very good idea!!

Best way is to go stay at a mates that lives in a big town or city and search there! :p

Lol

Skazz

thanks, i found a program called net stumbler, that scans. so i am goin gto use that. i am hust interested in how many open networks there are in my area. i doubt there are alot.

Yer this is probebly the most interesting subject ever in my point of view, why because it's legal. If someone leaves open a connection anyone has the right to use it because it's there fault in not encrypting it (WEP). Even with WEP I've heard of FreeBSD hackers with laptops hacking in and useing it but this is still legal because no one has bought up any laws for this kind of connectivity (this is what I've heard, don't gurenty on it, I'm not a polition).

I don't know what application you can use but there sure are some good ones out there that sniff for packet. I even heard you could connect even without packets, most of the time the application snifs an IP.

VAN wise, I heard that a guy got a massive arial (long,thin,poll type) and embed in the inside of his van (rear corner) to give him an excellent signal. Then connected it upto his FreeBSD laptop and away he goes. But just be carefull, If you spend all day in a VAN outside an office building people with think your up to something odd, the worst thing that could happen is you getting inspected by police as police always hanging built up areas.

So go ahead and try it, but just be carefull I'm saying, you don't want to be on the wrong side of the law (if there is any that deals with this kind of public access).

Oh by the way, look for chalk markings on the walls,carparks of building, this means a public access point has already been discovered. something like )||( I think.

thanks, i am going to scan. i don't want steal any ones bandwidth, i just got a license and a friend and i wanted to see how many wireless networks there were in our area. i thought it would be interesting to see who has what, and how unprotected, etc. i was just wondering if any of you had tried it before.

If you are using Windows then Net Stumbler is the one you want to use. If you are using a MAC then Mac Stumbler.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back