Scanners

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bman, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have come to conclusion that I must invest in a scanner for work, to be the best I can.

I know nothing about them at ALL!

What are the best ones out there right now...features, whats important...etc

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

whats your price limit? can you aford to streamline and buy/lease a xerox multi one?

3. Bman

no im looking for straight scanner....price range, most likley anything up to 150...but if there more expensive then that, i dont know

4. VenomXt

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

An image scanner for photo's, text etc? Anywhere from $50-200. Epson, Cannon, HP are all fine.

Keep away from Brother, poor results with low contrast originals like doctors receipts and other carbon copy forms.

If you have a lot of scans to do a scanner with a document feed is a must (and 50% more expensive at least). How many items you are scanning is important for reliability (jamming) and life. If you need one with a document feed then I'd suggest HP. It's what we use at work and I'm always tossing piles of data at it. Fast, no jam, file type/size options in the menu. But... $s.

Combo units (scan, copy, print) may have a quirks like if one ink is out you can't do anything with them (Brother for sure).

Resolution - unless you are ripping commercial photo's and trying to blow them up it's not an issue anymore. They are all ok. You will find that the files are too damn big to store and you have to lossy compress them anyway.

Scanners that say they can handle negatives and slides are not very good you need a dedicated scanner for those $200-300.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I'd try to get one from Costco since they have the best retuen policy I've ever seen. HP seem to be pretty good.

I have a Brother Multifunction scanner and it's pretty good. I had to scan like 200 pics for a Image DVD for my grandparent's 50th anniversary and it worked very well. I love the scan to file option. Mine can also scan/print thru the LAN as well.

8. Bman

I'm going to be using this scanner to do all my work, importing drawings and designs into the computer. I'll check out costco..

9. VenomXt

costco is the way to go. just save the recipt.

10. Bman

if at the store the scanner says photoscanner, does that mean photos only, like could I put a piece of paper in there...

11. Admiral Michael

Well if it's the size of a regular piece of paper then yes, otherwise no.

12. Bman

ok, I just found that abit confusing for a second, I thought so lol.

13. Admiral Michael

Photo may just mean high quality, possibly negative scanning possible. Stuff like that, or just a label for the computer illiterates to choose that model over another.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006