Scanner ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bucky Badger, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

My dad called me yesterday and told me his scanner gives him this message " unable to select twain source" He has a Canon N1240u. we deleted the old drivers and reinstalled updated ones and stil get the same message. Does this sound like driver, scanner software or hardware. He is running XP Pro. Thanks

2. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Have you tried rebooting with the scanner plugged in and then logging in as an administrator? Sounds like a driver problem though.

3. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

twain is a driver thing so it definitely has to be because of that. try checking canon and their driver/support section. maybe theres an even newer one then the ones hes got???

4. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

we went to the Canon site loast night and got the latest drivers, and we have rebooted several times with and without the scanner plugged in. :confused:

5. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

I have the same model scanner, and I can boot it up plugged into USB port or not - still fires up the same - does seem to sound like driver problem

(I run it via Photo studio 2000)

6. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Has your dad added any new usb items lately? Try unplugging everything 'usb' except the scanner. Because it is a usb device you can 'hot' plug and unplug it (plug it in or unplug it while the machine is on). Hot plug it in and see if windows picks up the new usb device... if not you may have a bad usb port... try another port. Also check your device manager and make sure your usb controller and hub drivers are working properly.

7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

try right click my computer>properties>hardware>device manager, see if is in there, or has exclamation mark.

If it's there, delete it then click scan for hardware changes. Might work, did on an old scanner from cannon which was usb i had a couple of years back.

8. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

I was having the same issue with my microtek. fixed it by del the software/drivers. then running regclean. after that went to the winnt or windows dir and del the twain and twunk32 files...rebooted reinstalled the drivers with the scanner disconnected then rebooted with the scanner connected and all fixed now. worked for me.

9. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Thanks we'll try that we have tried everything else. :)

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Yeah, what phishhead said. Windows has it's own twain driver so you probably need to preplace that.