Scan Disk/Defrag Problem

A

alloy25

I have a problem with a friends computer . It will not Scan Disk or defrag. When he trys, it says "insufficent memory".

It is a 1 Gig celeron with 256 memory and 40 gig hard drive. He brought the computer from Omega 12 months ago and is running WIN98SE.

When he goes to System then Performance it shows resources 85% used, so plenty of memory left???

Tried all the help items and Microsoft on line help.
Tried starting in safe mode and still would not defrag or scan. Can you help ??????????????

Await your reply.

Alloy25

:confused:

hate to suggest such a thing but have you tried doing it in dos?

Originally posted by Majin

I am embarrassed to admit this but both he and I are not that good to be playing with DOS.:eek:

The comp in question is in melbourne and we are on the other side of the country so to play with dos over the phone would be fun....

any thing else would be a help...sorry

Alloy25:eek:

Originally posted by alloy25
I have a problem with a friends computer . It will not Scan Disk or defrag. When he trys, it says "insufficent memory".

It is a 1 Gig celeron with 256 memory and 40 gig hard drive. He brought the computer from Omega 12 months ago and is running WIN98SE.

When he goes to System then Performance it shows resources 85% used, so plenty of memory left???

Tried all the help items and Microsoft on line help.
Tried starting in safe mode and still would not defrag or scan. Can you help ??????????????

Await your reply.

Alloy25

:confused:

Can anyone help before my question gets put on the second page of the forum where no-one will see it :(

when 98 is just about to begin loading hit F8 and select commandline then try typing defrag. this might work or maybe not. i aint used 98 in a long time :)

ally, just keep bumping the thread, when it gets too old.

I don't think anyone here has seen this isssue.

out of memory useually means virtual memory, so try to increase that.

also, dissable memory dump...see if that frees up some memory for you

I'm also assuming you are not on xp

if not, there is a ram release program that ms has for 9x...also a free one callled cahchman...I don't have it right now, but I'll get it to you tonight(I'm at work right now)

Originally posted by dealer
ally, just keep bumping the thread, when it gets too old.

I don't think anyone here has seen this isssue.

out of memory useually means virtual memory, so try to increase that.

also, dissable memory dump...see if that frees up some memory for you

I'm also assuming you are not on xp

if not, there is a ram release program that ms has for 9x...also a free one callled cahchman...I don't have it right now, but I'll get it to you tonight(I'm at work right now)

hey thanks dealer...i'll give all of the above a try and wait for cachman as well....i personally am running xp but my friends comp is running 98 so it is for her....

thanks
ALLOY25

cachman

also, I would try to defrag the pagefile, which is of course is impossible if you can't create a contigous area on the disc with a defrag, there also might be bad sectors right on the pagefile.

so, if nothing else, try to move the pagefile.

delete, reboot, resett the pagefile, reboot.

take your pick of all of these ideas, hopefully one will do the trick

I have just been informed through an email that the free space on the comp is not 15% as previously described ...it's the other way around...it has 85% free space..

SORRY

Alloy25 :(

Any help would be helpful :(

I was given the rong info in the first place...its right now(I hope)

Alloy24 :eek:

Originally posted by alloy25
Any help would be helpful :(

I was given the rong info in the first place...its right now(I hope)

Alloy24 :eek:

HHEELLPP PPLLEEAASSEE !!!!!!

looks like ig my suggestions didn' help I'm stumped.

I am not good with 9x

last suggestion I can cime up with is to check the ram

just so you know though, insufficient memory is a ram or virtual memory warning...not a harddisk warning

Originally posted by dealer
looks like ig my suggestions didn' help I'm stumped.

I am not good with 9x

last suggestion I can cime up with is to check the ram

just so you know though, insufficient memory is a ram or virtual memory warning...not a harddisk warning

ok man ...thanks for your help anyway....I'll have to deal....:(

Sorry about the pun........

theres my age old remedy to windows 98 problems....FORMAT C:

Originally posted by Majin

We have tried everthing but I think its time to try dos......

Does anyone know the commands to scan disk and defrag in DOS ????????

Alloy25
:(

You say you've tried everything...

Are you sure you have a sufficient pagefile/memory? 85% of not very big is still not very big! Try increasing the pagefile. I'm guessing here, but if your friend has either a pretty full hard disk or some big files, then it's going to take quite a bit of memory to move things around....

Also I'm not sure about the scandisk probs, but have you tried running chkdsk?

kip

start the computer in safe mode. then scandisk and defrag. It may take some time initially to get done but afterwards you can scandisk and defrag normally. By starting the computer in safe mode none of the programs are loaded on startup.

Originally posted by iowaboy
start the computer in safe mode. then scandisk and defrag. It may take some time initially to get done but afterwards you can scandisk and defrag normally. By starting the computer in safe mode none of the programs are loaded on startup.

Thanks for the response...I'll pass it on and i'll get back to you to tell you how He went...

Alloy25

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back