SATA UDMA problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by razor_ro, Nov 18, 2004.

1. razor_ro

razor_ro OSNN Addict

I have 2 Seagate Barracuda SATA HD's running. 1 is an 80gb 7200rpm 8mb and the other is the 200gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer. The 80gb one runs perfectly at UDMA 6, the other one is capable of running at UDMA 6 but is set to UDMA 5. It lets me change the settings then asks me to restart but when i come back after a reboot its still at UDMA 5. i dont have any settings in my BIOS for SATA drives (mobo: ASUS a7n8x-e deluxe). I tried setting it under DEVICE MANAGER and even tried the SATA program @ the ASUS website that runs under Windows and the same thing happens. Does anyone know why this is happenning? I was thinking that maybe only 1 drive is allowed to run at UDMA 6 because its taking up all the bandwith so the other has whatever is left. Any sugestions are welcomed, thanks

RaZoR

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

HMMMmm I have same drive {EDIT} that's the 200! {/EDIT} and it runs around that speed - 100? only have the one SATA with a couple ATAs though....

Try runnig HDtach and post back what you are getting... Nothings perfect though, took me weeks to get mine this far!

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Isn't UDMA only used in PATA connections?

4. razor_ro

razor_ro OSNN Addict

its wierd.. from what i understand its not possible to to go to UDMA5 in SATA.... the lowest speed for SATA is UDMA6.... so i think it could be just a display bug/glitch

5. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

sooooo... can I ask what speeds HDTach gives you? ust wondering if my HD is performing as it should