Safari On Acid

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Aug 14, 2005.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

For those who are pedantic about rendering compliance, you may know that Safari's core, WebKit now passes the Acid 2 test. However, it has yet to be implemented into an official release of Safari itself.

With WebKit being open source, you can just grab the latest nightly and compile it yourself, however that will replace your WebKit at OS level, if you just want to use Safari with the new WebKit, check out the link below. It will launch Safari with the compliant WebKit, without changing anything including your current install of Safari.

Click the thumbnail to see ACID2 being rendered correctly:
    [​IMG]

Download: SafariOnAcid.dmg
    Download: SafariOnAcid.md5

2. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

cool - I actually had the oppertunity to get a Mac recently, but I chose going for my motorbike license instead :D Much more fun involved in that I think :p

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Very cool. I wonder if Safari will be updated with a .x release... or will we have to wait until Leopard?

4. SPeedY_B

Safari will be updated with a point release at some point, and in theory the new version of WebKit should be included, if not, it will be included in an o/s point release at some point. WebKit can be compiled into the o/s manually anyway (it's VERY easy to do) so should you need better compliance, it's there, readily available.

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

cool, hoorah for WebKit

does Shiira use the system webkit or one in its own @executable_path??

6. SPeedY_B

Shiira appears to just use the systems WebKit.

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

bitesize:/Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS xistence$ ./SafariOnAcid
    Start Safari with DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH set to point to built WebKit in /Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources.
    dyld: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari Undefined symbols:
    WebKit undefined reference to _kCGImageSourceShouldPreferRGB32 expected to be defined in ApplicationServices
    WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1AlgorithmIDTemplate expected to be defined in Security
    WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1IA5StringTemplate expected to be defined in Security
    WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1SequenceOfAnyTemplate expected to be defined in Security
    WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1SubjectPublicKeyInfoTemplate expected to be defined in Security
    Trace/BPT trap
    bitesize:/Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS xistence$ uname -a
    Darwin bitesize.network.home 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

No luck for Panther users here :(

8. SPeedY_B

The DMG I linked would of being built with Safari 2.0 in mind. I'm not sure it will work, but you could try checking out and building a fresh build of WebKit and see if you can get it to function with Safari 1.3(?).

http://webkit.opendarwin.org/building/build.html

9. X-Istence

It needs Xcode 2.1 to build, and guess what, Xcode 2.1 only runs on 10.4.x :p

I am all out of luck it seems.

10. Geffy

haha, buy Tiger :p

11. X-Istence

Send me 27$ via paypal and i can go buy it.

12. Geffy

tempting...
    esp as that is only £15 in real money :p

and it would get you to shutup about not having tiger :p :D

13. X-Istence

Yeah, the USD is not real money anymore :p. Wonder if i could use iLife 04 with it. As i believe Mac OS X tiger does not come with it standard.

14. Geffy

I am going to get iWork '05 and iLife '05 soon from the Apple Store Education for NUS and the two together should cost me about £60 :D

15. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I really like Pages, but I'm looking forward to v2.0 as v1.0 needs to have some things ironed out. It's still very much a useable word processor though, and I love the templates. iLife is excellent -- no need to say any more. :)

16. SPeedY_B

Wouldn't mind a copy of iWork myself. *looks into*

17. Geffy

I'll be ordering mine beginning of September when I am back up in Scarborough

18. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Well this is a surprise, but one thing baffles me, what sort of tests can that smilie do ^_^

19. X-Istence

it tests every aspect of CSS 2. If it renders correctly, then the browser is CSS 2 compliant, if it fails to render correctly, the browser needs to update it's CSS support to make it render correctly.