Running 2 firewalls with SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Aug 27, 2004.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Are you guys running two firewalls with SP2. DA! I was, obviously not thinking about conflicts. With SP2 it doesn't check the outbound traffic, just the inbound! Hmmm! Which to use, my Sygate Pro or the built in firewall with SP2. Will I ran a little experiment and aimed it at the OSNN forum. With my advanced settings in Sygate Pro I was blocking about 12,000 IP's which was causing the forum pages to open up very slow here at OSNN for obvious reason. After turning off Sygate my pages and web browsing are opening up very fast. So whats the trade off here. Maybe I'll run Sygate Pro when I'm running my filesharing programs and turn it off when I'm not. ? What do you guys think. Which will you use.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Whatever you choose to do, don't run two software firewalls together to avoid:
    1) Redundancy (and thus, resource wastage)
    2) Conflicts between the two firewall apps

If you go with Sygate, disable the Windows Firewall, since Sygate does everything WF does and more. If you prefer to stick to WF and don't need outbound monitoring, uninstall Sygate.

3. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Disable WF and keep Sygate running (I did so) ;)

4. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Disabled SP2 firewall and running 5.5 2637. surfing fast, very little delays even with several thousand blocked IP's in Advanced Rules configured specifically for a couple p2p programs I'm running.

5. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

Hi m8
    I'm running nortons and ISS, and have no problems at all.

ejm

6. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Router and SP2 Firewall.

Had Sygate Pro but it is more hassle than it's worth on my home network. SP2 is much less obtrusive, if less secure but totally worth the tradeoffs.

I don't have to fight with the firewall among networked computers and I get more resources on my older systems. The new systems only use SP2 firewall too.

If someone wants to hack it good luck to them, my information is only worth so much effort to protect. And the protections I do have in place will deter the vast majority of people after it.

And if someone does mess it up I'll just restore the drive image. :p

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Exactly my thoughts. [​IMG]
    Same here...router and Windows Firewall on all my machines now.

8. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

ditto :)