Run Outlook from system tray

yalooze

OSNN Addict
Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista Business with Office 2003 and I'm trying to find a way to have Outlook run from from only the system tray.

Basically, I have Outlook open on my second monitor at all times and it takes up unnecessary space on my task bar. Is there a setting within Outlook or registry tweak that will allow me to run Outlook in this way?

If the above isn't possible, is there a 3rd party program that you can recommend that will do what is described?

I have done a number of searches and have found plenty of results for 'Hide when minimized' etc. but not for running at all times in the system tray.

Thanks in advance,

yalooze

open outlook, then right click on the icon in the system tray and select hide when minimized, then minimize outlook and all you will see is a little icon in the tray

he did specifically say he doesn't just want to "hide when minimized". he wants it in the tray all the time and never on the task bar.
I'm not sure it's possible.
Everything I have in the systray usually shows up on the taskbar when accessed.

Show or hide the Outlook icon in the notification area (system tray)

1. Right-click the notification area, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
  2. On the Taskbar tab, click Customize.Note If Customize is unavailable, you must first select the Hide inactive icons check box under Notification area.
  3. In the Name column, click Microsoft Office Outlook.
  4. In the Behavior column, in the list, click Always hide, Always show, or Hide when inactive.
  5. Click OK twice.

ok...
really now...
LOL
that's still not what he asked

Showing or hiding the systray icon isn't what he wants.
He wants to run Outlook and NEVER HAVE ANYTHING SHOW ON THE TASKBAR. Only the systray icon will be there when Outlook is minimized or visible and being used on his second monitor

which both of which i have shown will do, you cant hide the task bar part when you have outlook open or any program natively don't know if there is a 3rd party tool, and why don't you offer some suggestions - seeing as you know everything

I did say I don't think it's possible.
I never said I know everything
I don't see any point to telling him step by step how to do what he already said he knows how to do.
I have done a number of searches and have found plenty of results for 'Hide when minimized' etc. but not for running at all times in the system tray.

Cheers for the help anyway guys. Will continue to look for a 3rd party app. Will let you know if I find anything.

Thought I seen a registry tweak somewhere for that and just found it. This I think was for XP but another poster said it works with Vista also,

I’ve never tried it but sounds like what you are looking for?

This modification will send Microsoft Outlook (if you use it) to the system tray instead of the taskbar when you click on the minimize button. This helps to keep your taskbar neat, especially if you have alot of other items open. Outlook still continues to work in the background and will notify when new email comes in. To reopen it, just double click on the Outlook icon in the system tray.

----

Send Outlook to System Tray when minimizing the window instead of keeping it in the taskbar, therefore saving space.

Purpose: Send Outlook to system tray when you click the minimize button. This will save space in your task bar and reduce the amount of windows you have opened but at the same time keep Outlook running in the background.

Procedure:

1. Open up your registry editor by going to Start > Run > regedit > OK

2. Navigate to the following location in your registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences
Note: Depending on your version of MS Office you may not see 10.0 as part of the key - it may be 11.0, 9.0, etc...In some cases you may see multiple versions - usually if you select the wrong one it will either be empty or will not contain the key you are looking for.
9.0 -- MS Office 2000
10.0 -- MS Office 2002
11.0 -- MS Office 2003

3. Right click anywhere in the right pane, select New > DWORD Value > type MinToTray > press Enter

4. Double click on MinToTray and in the Value Data field, type in 1 and click OK

5. Exit the registry editor. If Outlook was opened while making these changes, please close it and restart it.

From HERE

you can do that by right clicking on the outlook icon, but that's not want he wants

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back