Run Outlook from system tray

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by yalooze, Nov 24, 2008.

1. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista Business with Office 2003 and I'm trying to find a way to have Outlook run from from only the system tray.

Basically, I have Outlook open on my second monitor at all times and it takes up unnecessary space on my task bar. Is there a setting within Outlook or registry tweak that will allow me to run Outlook in this way?

If the above isn't possible, is there a 3rd party program that you can recommend that will do what is described?

I have done a number of searches and have found plenty of results for 'Hide when minimized' etc. but not for running at all times in the system tray.

Thanks in advance,

yalooze

2. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

open outlook, then right click on the icon in the system tray and select hide when minimized, then minimize outlook and all you will see is a little icon in the tray

4. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

he did specifically say he doesn't just want to "hide when minimized". he wants it in the tray all the time and never on the task bar.
    I'm not sure it's possible.
    Everything I have in the systray usually shows up on the taskbar when accessed.

5. Dark Atheist

Show or hide the Outlook icon in the notification area (system tray)

1. Right-click the notification area, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
    2. On the Taskbar tab, click Customize.Note If Customize is unavailable, you must first select the Hide inactive icons check box under Notification area.
    3. In the Name column, click Microsoft Office Outlook.
    4. In the Behavior column, in the list, click Always hide, Always show, or Hide when inactive.
    5. Click OK twice.

6. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

ok...
    really now...
    LOL
    that's still not what he asked

Showing or hiding the systray icon isn't what he wants.
    He wants to run Outlook and NEVER HAVE ANYTHING SHOW ON THE TASKBAR. Only the systray icon will be there when Outlook is minimized or visible and being used on his second monitor

7. Dark Atheist

which both of which i have shown will do, you cant hide the task bar part when you have outlook open or any program natively don't know if there is a 3rd party tool, and why don't you offer some suggestions - seeing as you know everything

8. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

I did say I don't think it's possible.
    I never said I know everything
    I don't see any point to telling him step by step how to do what he already said he knows how to do.

9. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

Cheers for the help anyway guys. Will continue to look for a 3rd party app. Will let you know if I find anything.

10. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Thought I seen a registry tweak somewhere for that and just found it. This I think was for XP but another poster said it works with Vista also,

I’ve never tried it but sounds like what you are looking for?

From HERE

11. Dark Atheist

you can do that by right clicking on the outlook icon, but that's not want he wants

12. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

13. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 Let's blow something up. Political User

Thanks for that link... I may be able to use that software!