Run AMD or Intel CPU on the same board?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Elektro Slime, May 30, 2005.

1. Elektro Slime

Elektro Slime Harware Guru

2. ECS are cheap crap, which is probably why you've never heard of them.

3. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

pretty cool nonetheless tho.

I wonder what other manufacturers will do and if they will follow this lead :)

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Since you can only use one CPU at a time (controlled by the jumpers on the board), what's the point? Except maybe for software development. But even then it feels like a cumbersome solution.

5. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

i meant from the point of upgrading.

AMD64, but then perhaps Intel will release a better chip and you could just buy an addon card and utilise it, rather than having to replace mobo aswell the processor :)

6. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

there was another board like this bout a year ago I forget who made it but otherwise it about the same. I remember that using the add-on card for the other cpu you took a decent hit in speed etc of the system

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I dont like it.

8. Elektro Slime

Elektro Slime Harware Guru

well the idea isnt a bad one, but it hasn't been implemented properly. I mean look at the design. Say you use the card and wanna run a 939 A64 with a decent after market air cooling setup which naturally will be made of copper and hence quite heavy, i dont see how a little PCB fixed to the mobo on only one side will be able to support the weight of the cooler without bending.

i also noticed that the mobo has two pcie-16x slots. how the hell you gonna use two graphics cards on it with a huge Heatsink between them?

if the 939 socket was fit on the actual mobo instead of an addon card I think it would have been better.