Router won't install

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cat826237, Feb 18, 2008.

1. cat826237

cat826237 OSNN Addict

Bought a new Belkin router. Had a Netgear that worked for couple of years, then seemed to overheat? and quit working. Can't get the new router to communicate with the cable modem. Support from Belkin say I have a firewall that won't allow contact, but I turned Zone Alarm off and made sure the windows firewall was off also. Any ideas? THANKS

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

power cycle the cable modem after plugging in the new router. Works for my cable modem.

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

ye like lord says always make sure your modem is powered up before the router

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Also make sure all the LEDs go off for your modem. Some have a battery that you will need to pull out in addition to pulling the AC power. Only then will it truly reset.

You could also try spoofing the MAC address if that doesn't work, but a hard reset of your modem should negate needing to do that.

5. cat826237

cat826237 OSNN Addict

Looks like they will be sending me another router. Tried to set up on another computer and it still would not work, same message "unable to connect with the modem".
    After talking with the 3rd tech support person, he asked for my address and said they would send one to me. As best I could understand him, I don't think they want me to return the defective one. Can't imagine that!!!

6. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

It's not cost efficient for them to take the old kit back. Woohoo, you have spares :laugh:

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

eBay it :p

8. cat826237

cat826237 OSNN Addict

Nah, couldn't do that to anyone. I spent many agrivating minutes talking to 3 different people that couldn't understand me.(Hillbilly) And I dern sure couldn't understand them (Non-Hillbilly)! Spare parts it is.