Router without any Router Hardware??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Alex_is_Axel, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

Im just curious to see if i could have a router on this computer without getting anymore hardware so that i can have NAT? Or is there any other way inwhich i could have NAT? Im running a 512k Broadband line over 4 computers and im sick of not being able to start FTP's or send files on MSN or start Voice Convosations on MSN or Roger Wilco... Can anyone help me please?
    Thank you for your time :cool:

Sincerly Alex

2. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) built into Windows 98SE, ME, 2K and XP will give you NAT.

You can then map the ports through to other computers on the LAN for ftp, msn etc :)

A router is a better solution in my experience though... just costs a bit more :/

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

NAT isn't all that great you know...

4. koko

koko Got Root?

grab one of these! i have one and it works wonders for my network. it's also cheap! :)

5. Alex_is_Axel

Ok, thank you for your help everyone... i might just get a Router :)

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you put your computer in DMZ mode in the router you might get rid of these problems. You loose the security though.

7. Alex_is_Axel

Thanx Everyone:cool:

8. Misfire

Misfire OSNN Addict

my d-link won't let me go dmz for some odd reason. i put 192.168.0.1 but it just goes back to orignial settings.

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

What? You put in 192.168.0.1 as the DMZ IP? That's the router! It's not your IP.

10. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

start\run\cmd then type ipconfig/all and theres the ip address that you want to dmz.

11. Duke Zootin

Duke Zootin Guest

If you got any old PC's laying around, even an old 386 or 486, check this out:
    http://www.bbiagent.net/en/index.html

Quick, easy and free way to turn any old PC into a router. You don't even need to have a HDD in it, just a floppy, some RAM and the nic cards.

Still, hardware routers are well under $100 US these days, and very simple to setup. It is the best way to go.

D

12. nt/2000/xp can its self be a router .......

also i ise ics here, one computer sharing connection to all others, works like a charm..........

13. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

aye, ICS runs perfect... I recently changed to a linksys cable modem router with 4 port switch recently though, and connections are all quicker than with ICS. I would recommend a router first, but if funds are a problem, ICS can do a good job in its place :)