Router Wiring Setup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by JJB6486, Sep 4, 2002.

1. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Will this setup work? Due to space constraints, I cant put the router next to the modem, and cannot run another line. Is it possible to plug both the router LAN and WAN interfaces, cable modem ethernet port, and the comptuers into the same hub? So that the router uses the same hub to route Modem<->Router<->LAN. All IPs are static (WAN and LAN).

Please don't reply with other ways to do it (due to space constraint, there are no other options), just whether that will work or not

[​IMG]

I need to put a router in a different room then the modem, with only one cable going to that other room. I cannot move the modem, put the router in the same room as the modem, or run a second cable to the other room. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :confused:

JJB

2. simply replace the first hub with the router and put the hub near the router and then conect all the way you wanted and it has to work ;)

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

It will probably work, but it's WRONG(tm)*. Like Aldifriek said, can't you cram the router in where the hub is?

*The reason is that internal (192.168.*.*) traffic will (or can at least) make it's way out on the net. There should be no 192.168.*.* addresses present on the net. Ever.

4. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

why not get a wieless router?