Router to Router

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kacey2877, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Kacey2877

Kacey2877 OSNN Junior Addict

Hi All :p

I'm dropping the idea for an ftp site , been there done that! ;)
    Now what i would like to know if possible.Is there is anyway to connect to my friends house through router to router . I am aware of VPN but not quite sure. I would like to have a direct network to my friends house like wan to wan.On a small like intrenet.Is there certain software i would need?What would the quickest way to tranfer files and access his network? :confused:

Any help much appreciated :D
    thanks

PS. I'm using WINXP SP2 Belkin Router 1.5meg broadband.
    Friends) WINXP SP2 Belkin router 3.0meg broadband.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

3. Kacey2877

Thanks! im reading reading reading and digesting !! :D

4. Kacey2877

Right ive connect to my friends server through VPN . Right I am the client, but we are having a problem mapping network drives. I understand i have to go to my computer right click and Map Network Drives , OK. Now im putting in
    \\kellogs\\d and not finding nothing. I am supposed to put in , instead of the letter 'd' a NETid but we don't no what his net,id is. :confused:
    I'm tearing the hairs out my a.s
    Could anyone help to map network drives please.
    PS when im connected to VPN as client i cannot access the internet is that normal?
    Sorry to be stupid but it comes natural :D

5. cpugeniusmv

make sure that your friend has enabled "file and print sharing" over the VPN connection.

i've never done an over-the-internet VPN before...so i don't know whether or not you should still be able to access the internet :)

6. Kacey2877

OK. Update. I'm still connected to his computer also im accessing the internet through his pc at the moment.Now i can ping his server machine.
    But still cant map drives. We are both behind routers. We both got File and print sharing enabled .
    MMMMM still very confused.

7. cpugeniusmv

what happens when you type \\IP in the Run box?

where IP is the IP of his server.

8. Kacey2877

Came up with Network path not found, very strange because im still connect through VPN and still using the internet through his server , also ive just accessed his router info page.

:rolleyes:

9. cpugeniusmv

are you absolutely positive file/print sharing is enabled on the VPN connection? (not just the local area connection)

10. Kacey2877

11. cpugeniusmv

i'm stumped :-\

12. Kacey2877

Me too :confused:
    thanks for your help though i'm still looking on google for the answer.

13. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

Stupid suggestion. Have you tried manually sharing Files / Folders?

Also, are you sure ports have been properly opened/routed?

Just a couple of things that came to mind :)

14. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I'm not sure if you're still doing this - but SP2 requires a hotfix for VPN to work, see KB884020

15. cpugeniusmv

KB884020 doesn't contain the word "VPN"

and in fact, i've had no problems hosting or connecting to a VPN with my machine running SP2.

16. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Interesting, I still cannot connect to my company VPN now I am on SP2 - I did get that hotfix and applied it, which gave me a little more success insofar as I could get a TN3270 screen to download, but when I tried to send back my login it times out still....

I do not suppose you had to configure anything with SP2? Windering what my issue could be - have even tried with firewall completely disabled (I am behind router) and still no success.... any help appreciated.

[EDIT] I have ZERO problem CONNECTING to the VPN, it is making any use of that connection that fails, IE my TN3270 or OUTLOOK - and I have tried adding them to the exceptions list of programs for the firewall too. [/EDIT]
    PS I realise the hotfix did not mention VPN but it can be relevant I believe depending on how the VPN server works.