router question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kazuma.x, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kazuma.x

kazuma.x OSNN One Post Wonder

I want to know how would you go about setting up a router behind a computer that i want to stay connected directly to the modem. ie modem to computer then computer to router so my other computers can be secured, reason is a program i am using is not working right behind the router even with all ports open.

thanks for any help

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

What is the program that won't work? Perhaps there is a way to resolve that as well.

You would need to put a second network card into your PC, then have the Cable modem go to one card and an ethernet cable from the second card to the router, with a little more detail involved in the setup.

May be easier for you to try and get the program to work.

3. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

You need to network adapters as stated above one you hook up to the modem and will have internet just let it use automatic DNS and IP .

The one you use to hook to the router you give it an IP and SUBNET MASK manually so that it runs inside the LAN but use no DNS or Gateway so that it does not go to the internet

4. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

try putting the computer in a DMZ, this will put the pc infront of your rotuers firewall.

5. kazuma.x

how would i set it up to allow the other computers to have access to the internet, modem --> main comp --> router --> other comps. still able to access the internet?? still having trouble trying to figure this out...

6. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

What kind of Router?

7. kazuma.x

it is a linksys wrt54g

8. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Ok this is really straight forward, check out this site to set up your router, it will also give you instructions on how to push the machine out the DMZ. This should get that proggie running.
    http://www.portforward.com/