router - non router question ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkychan, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Punkychan

Punkychan OSNN Addict

I just took off my router and made a direct connections from my modem to the pc since I'm not using the other pc so much., but I noticed there is a different in speed loss.Before taking off the router the speed was between 10 - 12.7 mbps but after that direct hooking it lowers down to 9- 9.5 mbps.Is there wrong somewhere ?? I did the speed test a few times yesterday and today to see any difference in the loss packet.I'm connected withan ADSL.I thought it was the other way round ...??!!

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

could it be ISP

I'd guess the router would have a tiny tiny overhead - mainly only if you had something else using it - so my guess is just variation in service level from your ISP

3. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

*sometimes* and dont take my word for this, i would have to go back to the books but... i think some routers have built in repeaters, basically it repeats the signal recieved... so really it might have just been "boosting" your signal slightly.... simple solution, re-link the router :D

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

and as a added bonus you'll have a hardware firewall.

5. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

hubs are multiport REPEATERS
    not routers :)

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

plus a 'repeater' would delay a packet not make it faster. I tell ya CelticFan11 these kids now a days. :D

7. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

lol yeah if hubs made the signal faster people would actually use hubs again lol

8. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

You mean they dont.... dahhhh derrr.. I thought they worked with magic or something... I am gonna stop now. I am being a bad mod. shame shame:eek: