ripping just audio from an mpeg

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Jul 15, 2003.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

can anyone tell me how to do this? i want to rip the audio from a mpeg and put it onto a cd and also seperate the tracks into either mp3's or .wav files.

thanks in advance,
    seperatist

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I know that Adobe Premiere does this, because I have the app and have done it before. However, Premiere is not a cheap program, and I wouldn't recommend buying it just to rip audio from a video file. I'll take a look around and let you know if I find something else.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

VirtualDub can demux mpegs for you. If you want a program that specifically does just that, what you're looking for is an "AVI Demultiplexer".

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

VirtualDub... of course! I've used this program for years and never even noticed that you could copy audio. Definitely a good choice there. It will copy to .wav, and then all you have to do is encode it into whatever format you wish.

http://virtualdub.org/

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Quick info on AVI (mpeg, etc.):

AVI is just two files (one audio and one video) combined, or "multiplexed", together. They're not mixed like paint, but more like they're intertwined like two cords of a rope. And just like a rope, those two pieces can be separated without having to re-encode either one.

6. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

thanks a lot, you guys rock. this is a great place to come for good and helpful info.