Restricting access to drives !

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kapriki, Feb 6, 2002.

1. kapriki

kapriki Guest

Hello there :D
    I found out that under group policies in WXP (run gpedit.msc, and look in User Confg, Admin Templ, Wind Compon, Wind Explo, "Prevent Access to drives" or " Hide Specified Drives")u can deny complete access or hide any drives, however once u get there it only allows u to block or hide drives A, B & C which is not much of a great help if u have more than just 2 drives, which is my case, I want to deny access to drive E or F, does anybody what can I do here ? :confused:

Thank U

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Do you have XP home or pro version?

3. DOSMAN

DOSMAN Guest

Is gpedit installed by default with the home version? It is not installed on my pc.

4. kapriki

kapriki Guest

Access to drives

To Lonman: It's XP Professional.

To Dosman: I have no clue, I only use Professional, sorry.

Thanks

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

DOSMAN...no

6. Rootz

Rootz Guest

kapriki, if your problem is preventing unathorized access to any drive, folder or file apply NTFS *deny access* permission to any other specific user account on the machine.

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Open windows explorer> tools> folder options> 'view' tab> scroll to the bottom of the list and untick 'use simple file sharing.' When that is applied, you can now right click on any drive/folder/file and select the 'security' tab... set your permissions there.

8. Rootz

Rootz Guest

Simple File Sharing has little to do with Security Permissions I think.
    SFS may help you in setting up shared folders/docs.
    NTFS permissions are always available (NTFS file system required) and they control both local and network access to data.