Restoring Files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omgsoup, Jul 22, 2002.

1. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

right, so i just reformatted my drive, did a clean install of xp pro, and have reinstalled important programs. i also attempted to restore my outlook express emails. i went to the correct directory and pasted the entire "identies" folder from my backup, but i don't see any of my old emails when i use outlook. any ideas on what i did wrong, or how i can get my old emails back?

2. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

you should have previously (before reformating) gone into outlook and backed up (export) all of your e-mails - it would save them all into a file with the extension .pst - you would then need to keep hold of that and after the reformat import them...

these options are in the 'File' menu in Outlook Express 6...

hope yah haven;t lost those e-mails m8 :(

MdSalih

3. omgsoup

i didn't really do that, i just copied all the stuff in the outlook saved mail folders (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{DED30B4E-38F5-495D-BABD-F103529457E2}\Microsoft\OutlookExpress) will that work?

4. omgsoup

its a bunch of files that are *.dbx, like inbox.dbx or deleted files.dbx. i'm SOL on this, aren't i? i tried to import them but that didn't work too well.