Restore Points located?

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
For some reason my restore points are getting deleted. I want to know where these are stored and possibly make my own backup copies of them.

btw does anybody know how to repair system restore?

your restore points are not only space sensitive, they are also time sensitive.

oldest restores caannot be saved.

in addition, each restore relies on all previous restores.

you can delete the oldest or the newest, but otherwise will corrupt the utility

if you'd like to save partitcular configurations permanently, you need to do it as a mirror...best off the box, but certainly off the partition at the very least

You can read (kind of) the information in the System Volume information folder, if you performed the steps to give yourself the appropriate permissions (Security tab or cacls command).
You can even export registry settings from restore points without performing a full system restore by using the "load hive" feature in regedit.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Ok I read up on it a bit, and after some investigation have concluded that my ramdrive seems to be the culprit. It was only about 16MB and according to MS:

If the free disk space falls below 50MB on any monitored partition, System Restore stops monitoring your system and suspends. This causes System Restore to purge all restore points in an attempt to free up the remaining disk space.

With that clue and more importantly after looking at event viewer I see several of the following:

The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000023' while processing the file 'MSI7ddad.tmp' on the volume 'Ramdisk'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

So my options so far are either to up the size of my ramdisk or turn off monitoring on it. I've upped the size for now and so far so good, but I would like to know how to turn off monitoring on it, as it is not listed as one of the available drives that system restore monitors in System Properties > System Restore.

Does anybody know of a command/service/registry key that will allow me to modify this setting?

I believe all you ahve to do is dissable system resore through the user interface

Good question Leedogg and one I can't find an answer to!

If you turn off System Restore at the top of the System Restore tab in System properties it will striop monitoring all drives. To stop monitor just one parition/drive - you select/deselect it in the bottom portion of the tab - however yourRam Drive does not show and that's what I am curious about.

apparantly ramdrives arent classified as real disk drives...got tired of having my restore points flushed every time i emptied the recycle bin so I've found an alternate program http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm
that creates a ram hard drive as opposed to a ramdrive and now its listed and I can disable monitoring on it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back