Reset Startmenu (Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, May 11, 2008.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

So I was playing around with the start menu, trying to make it how I want. In XP there was always your user account and All Users start menu. I normally would delete everything in my account startmenu and customize the All Users start menu.

Well I tried doing that with Vista and now its all messed up. There are doubles of icons that aren't really there, there are icons missing from links, when a new program is installed the application icon that is suppose to show up in the start menu does not. Basically weird annoying crap.

Is there away to reset the startmenu?

2. Mizzle

Mizzle Oh, now I know...!

Right click on a blank area, press Settings. Then press Customize... in the new window (tab: Start menu) and choose to use default settings. I think that'll help.

3. Bman

No it does not, that has nothing to do with the icons and folders itself.

4. Mizzle

Oh ok. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of your problem?

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Why not just use a restore point before you messed with things?

6. Bman

Holy crap, why didn't I think of that lol. I guess I never have used System Restore that often so I don't think of it. Let me try.

ahh, not a far enough back restore point....any other ideas...i will get a screenshot, not sure if it will help though.

7. Mizzle

It's not possible to right-click on the icons and remove them that way? I'm asking for a screenshot, as I'm finding it a bit hard to visualise exactly how it looks.

8. Bman

It's a bit harder to get a screen shot of what I want because of what it is. Basically the start menu is fine, just some of the icons don't show up. The other main problem is when I install a new program, and when they ask do you want to add it to the start menu, I choose yes but nothing get's added. That is because I deleted and moved all the icons from the "All Users" or "Explore All Users" start menu folder to the "Explore" or "My User" startmenu.

When doing that in XP, anything new or changed would update with the single Start menu, instead of both. With Vista it seemed to create this problem. I do see how this explaination does not help that much.

I am writing this at 2:30AM right before going to bed, so please allow me to create the screenshots of what I am talking about in the morning, before replying. Thanks.

9. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Not to sound harsh or like a broken record, but backup, backup, backup. For the last several years I create disk image backups every time before I install a program or make any other major change to my systems. I had to twist my brother's arm for years to get him to do the same after all the tech support I had to give him over the phone.

Finally once he called me, told me his situation and asked me what the first thing I would do is, and I said, restore the backup I made right before I did that...

It's such a time and headache saver.

10. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

or get a trial version of tuneup utilities and use the many fix functions it has, down side to system restore is it will unchange a lot of things

old skool eh? most use CDs/DVD's now :D or streaming media :p

11. Bman

I get that, I am the same way for most items. It's just why would you do a major backup when I am basically just deleting icons and files. :nervous:

12. Bman

So all of a sudden it seems to be working again. Acting like it did within XP. Let's hope it keeps it up, I don't know what I did but it's working.

Thanks everyone, I will post back if the problem comes back.

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Was it a reboot? :lick:

14. Bman

No actually, i was just opening and closing the folders for the startmenu, and it just seemed to refresh. So I installed a program to test and it seemed to be fine. Weird.

15. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

See. Vista is the future. It can read minds. ;)