Replacing what opens up when you do run -> cmd?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Punkrulz, May 22, 2008.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Hey guys,

I've been on the hunt for a better command prompt to replace the one I hate that comes standard with Windows. I have downloaded 2 applications. So far though, neither had the option to replace what opens up when you click Start -> Run -> cmd. I was able to replace notepad with something called Notepad2 back in the day... so how can I replace a program with cmd?

Thanks!

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

3. Punkrulz

Thanks tdinc,

That's already one of the ones that I have downloaded. So far the only thing I don't like about it is how it handles itself being maximized. For whatever reason I think when you try to maximize it, it doesn't look at my start bar... and if you have the lock to desktop edges enabled, then you're going to have problems because you'll lose your title bar of the app past the top of the screen.

But I would like to some how figure out how to change it so that application runs when I type cmd. Unfortunately it's embedded in my brain for me to access the command console quickest; not by shortcut. :/

4. tdinc

5. Punkrulz

Thanks again... that's the 2nd program I have already downloaded. :p Also does not give you the option to replace cmd, at least during install... I'm sure I could switch applications around.

Btw, that app claims it can do transparency like console... but I can't find the option anywhere?

6. tdinc

I don't think you can actually "replace" cmd.exe as it is part of windows. unless you use powershell.

read this as it explains the reasoning behind it.

7. Punkrulz

Hmm... I am wondering if I am thinking differently of how I want to do this. For example: There are programs out there like SecureCRT, or Putty, that people prefer to use telnet with over the telnet that you work with using cmd.exe. I'm one of those people. I'm kind of wanting to do the same thing; I'd like to use a more robust program that is the command console but gives me many more options / functionality.

tdinc likes this.
  8. tdinc

I could only think of http://www.cygwin.com/
    where it offers a complete detail of the cmd or file system ala Unix

*confusion sets in* :laugh:

9. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

rename cmd.exe to something else, name the program you want to use to cmd.exe

10. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Microsoft powershell, its commandlinetastic

11. JPRuss

JPRuss OSNN Addict Folding Team

If you just rename cmd.exe. the windows system file protection might just stick it back there.

You need to edit your path environment variable to have a directory placed before C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Just make it the first directory in your path (I call mine C:\BIN) ut you can also put the folder location of your installed app

You also need to edit the cmd.exe entry in your registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmd.exe]

Change the default string to point to the path and exectuable you want to run.

For example, suppose your program is called MYCMD.EXE and is located in

c:\PROGRAM FILES\MYAPP\MYCMD.EXE

Step #1 Add to the start of your PATH c:\PROGRAM FILES\MYAPP\;

Step #2 Copy the text below into a .reg file and then run the .reg file to update your registry [Don't forget to change the path to your actual file exe and path

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmd.exe]
    @="c:\PROGRAM FILES\MYAPP\MYCMD.EXE"

12. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

windows file system what???? :p - rename the cmd.exe in system32\dllcache first then, that's where it will copy it back from, when it cant find it there it will ask for the disc, say no :)

13. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

14. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high

umm....
    if you are gonna click Start, run, then type CMD, why not just "pin to start menu" the program you want to run. seems like it'd be faster

15. JPRuss

JPRuss OSNN Addict Folding Team

If the machine was installed with a network install, you might not get a prompt it will just take a new file from the network share. Or system policies might also prevent changing the dllcache.

Renaming and/or moving an executable may also cause the exectuable to
    not work properly. Some programs expect to have certain name and or
    path information (probably poor design)

Although, it's probably not a problem for cmd.exe. I would be carefull doing this with other DLL's. If M$ releases a patch and you turn off file protection, and you DLL is vulnerable your system might not patch correctly.

I'm not a fan of the windows system file protection feature myself, but whatever works I suppose.

16. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

just put the exe in the system32 and type the exe name at the run command?