renaming start button with a VS

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ruiner_066, Jun 18, 2003.

1. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

i can change it fine when im using the default windows xp vs, but is it possible to change it while using a custom visual style? im using one called Beacon that i loaded with stylexp. since it is a custom style im thinking that you may not be able to change it by editing windows files...anyone know?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I've got a little program that will change the standard start button name. Once you add a style it no longer works. Must be something to do with them not being compatible with each other. Looks like you either have the renamed button or the style not both. :(

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'm glad someone brought this subject up. Want to ask if there is any way of renaming the start button without any third-party software. =)

4. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

hmm.. long man!! LOL
    thanx mate... =)

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Ruiner, no offense, but EEEEEWWWW!!!! StyleXP...... bleah. did you ever try using the uxtheme patch that allows windows to use custom themes?

7. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

no, but stylexp has worked fine for me...i'll try yours if you think i will be able to rename the start button with it

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

don't know if you would be able to change the start button name, but it will probably save u loads of resources and more than likely loads of time in the long run.

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

As mentioned, once you apply a style you cannot change the start button successfully, even with the patch.