Remote Assistance Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SYTEK, May 29, 2002.

1. SYTEK

SYTEK Guest

On a corporate network how when offering remote assistance do you guys get the Machine name or IP address quickly from the user.

I have around 200 PC's on a network and when one rings with a problem i want to be able to offer remote assistance allowing them to see what i am doing. It takes an age to find the unique IP or Machine Name.

Because its in a commercial environment we do not allow the user the Run Prompt. I pondered the possibility of setting the desktop to be a web page that consisted of displaying the detail from IPCONFIG and other things local.

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Since I guess the names of the computers never change, just put a sticker on each monitor. A bit "BC" maybe but it works well. Then the user always knows what the name of the computer is.
  3. cjdodd

cjdodd Guest

get hold of a copy of winipcfg from a previous version of windows and put a shortcut to it in the users start menu or desktop.

i do IT support for BP and thats what we use
  4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I think the easiest way is to use MSN Instant messenger. Give them your IM email address and have them add you to their list. There's a request remote assistance link right there.

For your original query, I found this little program that sits in the system tray. On mouse over it displays computer name and ip address and has the function of copying the ip address to the clipboard for easy pasting. It's called IPClip:
  5. l0g0ut

l0g0ut OSNN Addict

microsoft also have winipcfg for windows 2000.... works for XP as well.... here