Refresh Rate Fix problem...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Joose, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Joose

Joose Guest

i downloaded the refresh rate fix and when i go to install it, it says im not using a NVIDIA chipset...

im running a Geforce2MX/200 VisionTek

grr....

any thoughts?

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I had that same problem till I updated drivers, try updating to the 27.10 or the 23.11's if you don't have them

3. da rock

da rock Guest

i downloaded the refresh rate fix ,installed it and everything is
    running at 85 mgz, i'm running a geforce2 ti 64 mb ddr w/ 23.11
    drvs. so maybe you do have a drv. prob as Qumahlin has suggest
    ed.;) :cool:

4. UniSol

UniSol I'm all ears

Where may I download this file?

5. da rock

da rock Guest

i can't remember where i downloaded it at ,but if you want i'll try to zip it and e-mail the file.:)

6. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

Do a Windows update and install the 23.12 set. Works pretty good.

7. da rock

da rock Guest

ok,found the download site,go to www.fileplanet.com to
    hardware/utilites and search for NVreffix .exe ;)

8. DoubleClick

DoubleClick Guest

If you have installed the 27.42 nvidia drivers the NVreffix won't work , but there is a workaround for that here :http://www.geocities.com/tikimotel/the_fix.htm

I'm currently running the 27.42's and they have been the fastest yet for my system.

9. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

I had read about a refresh rate fix for XP in another forum. I tried it and it works. This is without any third party software.

Nvidia cards.

Go to your vid driver inf. (for the 27.70s it's NVFS.inf)
    Open it and scroll down to your particular card (i.e. I have a GeForce 3 so mine is NV20)

You will see all the refresh rates supported. The first line will be 640x480

You can set your own refresh rates here. I have mine set to a single refresh rate for each resolution I use. Here is an example of one of the lines.

HKR,, NV20_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%, "8 1024 768 100 0"

That was after I changed it. Before I changed it, it was

HKR,, NV20_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%, "8 1024 768 60 70 72 85 100 120 0"

Now do this for each resolution you have. There are three separate sections there, one for 8 bit (256 color), 16, and 32

Change the refresh rates in each one.

When you're done, save the changes. Now install the drivers again with the changed inf.

What this does it trick XP to thinking that is the default refresh rate so if XP tries to change it in any game it will use the new default (lowest) refresh rate that is there.

You will notice that now in the nvidia display properties that only the refresh rate(s) you set will show up in the monitor's refresh rate drop down box.

If you set only one refresh rate as I did for each resolution, you won't even have to set the refresh rates up, they will already be set.

Now you're good to go without any third party program having to do it.