Reformat Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by hecdi, Dec 26, 2002.

1. hecdi

hecdi Guest

What is the recommended time frame to reformat the HD (Win XP)?

2. Antallica

Antallica w00t

Reformat the HDD.... that would a matter of seconds if you use the Quick format feature on the WinXP cd.

To format/install WinXP... 30 minutes - 1 hour.

3. allan

allan Guest

There is no recommended time frame. I know some people who reformat monthly and others only if and when necessary. I fit into the latter category.

Yes, a reformat allows you to start from scratch with a clean system and registry, but I'm from the school that says "If it ain't broke......."

It's up to the individual user.

4. hecdi

hecdi Guest

Thanks, Allan. Once I heard that you should reformat the HDD at least twice a year.

5. allan

allan Guest

Not from my perspective

And you're welcome:)

6. Antallica

Antallica w00t

Twice a year.... hell I do it every few months. It depends on how much crud is piled up on your pc and if you actually notice any slowdowns.

7. no time frame at all. as long as you like......... ive had some go life of computer...(years)

8. allan

allan Guest

Didn't I say that?

9. so? you should be happy i agreed with you now you know your opinion agrees with mine and we both might have the best answer........

dont be so self rightious

10. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

I heard that too... but the conversation also included the term "Windows 98" lol

WinXP can go for a long time without any problems... if you notice slowdown, try defragmenting the harddrive and cleaning off some of the old programs you never use anymore.

Personally, I reinstall when the PC goes ass up rather than every now and then. (I have been known to have reinstalled my PC cuz I was bored and had nothing to do rofl)

11. Antallica

Antallica w00t

Don't forget the reg cleaners and whatnot.

Yes boredom is a killer, I need to take my rig up north with me tomorrow. A few days ago I was so bored I just had a fiddle like usual and corrupted my system32 dir.

Mad rush to get it up and running again.... not good.