Redhat, XP-Pro & Partition MAgic

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by renakuajo, Jan 17, 2003.

1. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

wanna try redhat...currently i have xp pro installed my system is setup is:

athlon 1.4
    640ram
    2 40gb HD's
    8 partitions ntfs

if i install partition magic can i split C into 2 so i can install redhat, and if so can i install redhat in an ntfs partion? can redhat see the other partions that i have?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

1) If there is enough free space on C:, Partition Magic will be able to split it into two partitions. But don't do that ... read ahead.

2) Redhat doesn't install on NTFS partitions. Linux has its own file system.

3) Linux can mount NTFS partitions in read-only mode. It can mount FAT32 partitions in both read and write mode.

Here's what u should do:
    a) Use Partition Magic to resize your C:, leaving enough space for a linux partition. But don't create a partition ... leave it as unpartitioned free space instead.
    b) Boot from the RH CD, and somewhere along the installation, you will be given the option to create partitions. Tell setup to use your unformatted free space to automatically create linux partitions.

That should do it.
    Feel free to ask if u need anything else along the way.

Cheers!
    NetRyder :cool:

3. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

cool thats even better.....but can i acces my pictures and mp3 or documents that are in the other partitions....also after i install redhat how do i network with my other pc (xp pro also)

4. NetRyder

SAMBA allows linux clients to access Windows computers on local networks. I haven't really used it, but someone will be able to help u out once u have it installed.

G'luck! :)

Cheers!
    NetRyder :cool:

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

More importantly (IMO) is that Samba enables Windows computers to access shares on a Linux computer.

6. NetRyder

True ;)

7. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

So you know it is best not to mount NTFS partitions in Linux, it can screw them up, it would be best to create a approximately 300MB FAT32 or FAT16 partition to transfer data between XP and Linux.

I think you can also get an app that allows you to access an ext3 filesystem (linux one) and tranfer files from within windows, I cant remember what it is called off the top of my head, but I will find out.

8. Jtimes2003

Jtimes2003 Guest

Linux Partitions

In order for your system to dual boot you will need to designate Windows as your 1st boot. Linux Red Hat needs about 1.8GB of partition space as does Windows XP. The best way to accomplish this would be to install Windows (example here: 4GB HD)Allow 2 GB for Windows and install. Then install Linux and allow the remaining 2GB for that. I hope this helps. Partition Magic may help but is not necessary to get the job done.

Regards.

9. NetRyder

Geffy, did you find it yet?