Record streaming video?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bobsalot, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bobsalot

bobsalot Boooooooooooooooooooom

If im watching a file from the internet which is playing in Windows Media Player, is there any way in which i can save this file to put somewhere, for example on a disk so i can watch it in future. The reason for this is that i want to put that video on my phone and i cannot download the video, only stream. Thanks .

2. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

you can often look in the source of the page to find the actual file. Look for '.asf' or '.wmv'

3. bobsalot

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

can't get that page...

5. bobsalot

o well never mind. i downloaded it somehow and just transfered it to my phone.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

You can use a download manager like flashget to download them also ..

7. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

lol... i was wondering the same thing... sometimes it is not in the source (like on atomfilms.com) and i started using a screen recorder...the final video was like ten times the actual size of the orig when i finished :D

8. raj1969

raj1969 OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello Bro,

Try MPEG4 direct maker
    I think it can solve problem.

9. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

hey... it took me forever to find this old thread, however I found out how to get the files :D

Here bobs, try this... if it is an embeded player then look at the source of the page. You might have to save the page to view the full source.

Look for a .asf file (probably preview.asf) and make a link to it in a new html page.

Download the .asf file and rename it to .html.

Edit that file to find the next .asf file they are redirecting you to which is usally right before the <DURATION value="00:20:00.00" /> tag.

Make a link to this file and download it. It should be a huge file depending on the length of the video.

Rename the .asf whatever the extention of the movie was (.wmv, .mov, etc) and there you have it.... It's downloaded :D

Don't ask how I found all this... It was late and I was really, really tired...