Recommend me a CRT Monitor please

Has anyone noticed that CRT monitors are already obsolete in the SOHO market yet that are still superior to TFT screens in all respects apart from text clarity.

You can pick up a big CRT 21” monitor for £50.00p at any UK compute fair. These are far superior to any TFT screens available if you can actually lift them!!!!

:) :) :)

My 22" Weighs in at around 70 pounds... Thats about 32 Kilograms. Its a beast for sure... but if you arnt moving it around, then its no big deal.

dave holbon said:
You can pick up a big CRT 21” monitor for £50.00p at any UK compute fair.
A 21" for £50 (even with the US $ where it is thats ~$93.70) .. that surely can't be a "good" monitor.

Xie said:
A 21" for £50 (even with the US $ where it is thats ~$93.70) .. that surely can't be a "good" monitor.

Must be five (5) years old and takes 15 mins. to warm up. And it'll prolly cook yer brain faster than a microwave. :p

The only thing a CRT is good for over a TFT is pixel reaction times. CRTS react in nanoseconds, TFT's switch in milliseconds.

In all other respects the TFTs out perform CRTS (okay maybe not all crts are more accurate at colour reproduction than the older TFTs but IVe seen some tft panels (dell) that are as accurate as crts, clearer than crts, brigher without a headache :D and no freaking refresh rate!!).

I dont think it will be much longer before CRTS become obsolite for most domestic uses.

oh and btw I picked up my cornerstone colour 50/115 21" for £80 second hand from a reputable trade outlet and it lasted me a good 2 years. Some minor adjustment and repair and it'll be good as new to anyone whou should want to take it off my hands :D

gonaads said:
Viewsonic has great monitors. I have owned three (two I still use) and all have been excellent. I use at the present a Graphics Series GS790 (19") and an older 17" I don't remember that model number.

go here to see the Graphic Series ones: 19" black and 20" black

But you can also nav through the list of other monitors and then look 'em up at your nearest computer shop.

They certainly are cheaply priced :yowch: but that doesn't mean they are bad.

Can anyone who has owned a Viewsonic and also a DiamondTron screen type monitor like the NEC/Mitsubitshi's or the Iiyama's comment on how the Viewsonic's PerfectFlat screen technology stands up to the DiamondTron?

I was looking at these two Viewsonics:

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/CRTE2/E92f+SB.htm
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/CRTGraphics/G90f+.htm

Whats the big difference in the above 2 models? One is part of the E2 series and one is part of the Graphics series.

from a personal stand point, when it comes to CRT monitors i cant recommend Iiyama enough. As for prices you should really look around, but if your after quality over cost then you must take a look.

examples: Iiyama

Well I’m actually using as iiyana Vision Master Pro 450 (“19”Diamondtron) at the moment which I brought for £150 nearly four years ago. Also have a DEL “21” (Sony) monitor that is even better, both are flat screen but you can’t put them on an skimpy computer desk, they need support and heat up the environment so I purchased a “17” TFT flat screen for £300 some time ago (Phillips 170B) it only had one native resolution and whilst this was very good, that was all.

:) :)

I've narrowed it down to the 22" Dell P1230 DiamondTron and the 21" Dell P1130 FD Trinitron (rebadged Sony CPD-G520 I believe) :)

I figured a 19" display won't cut it for me and the Iiyama's don't cut it at high resolutions according to a few reviews I read.

I read that FD Trinitron CRTs are superior to DiamondTron CRTs offering better brightness and clarity.

Is this true?

Is there anyone here with the Dell P1130 FD Trinitron/Sony CPD-G520 and can comment on it?

Both the P1130 and P1230 have a max resolution of 2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz, horizontal scan range of 30-130kHz and 48Hz - 170Hz vertical scan range (is that ok?) with recommended resolution of 1600x1200 @ 85Hz although 1800x1440 @ 85Hz is also reported as fine.

I can get both for around £250 each, new.

I’ve just brought a second user NEC MultiSync FP1350 “22” for £59. The picture quality is stunning especially the colours. The person selling them even carried it to the car and placed it into the boot. It nearly killed me getting it out of the boot and it took two hours to set-up correctly. When you view the same picture on monitors like this side by side with the latest TFT flat screens then it’s immediately very obvious that the best CRT’s are far brighter, the colours more accurate and can work at just about any resolution and you don’t have to sit directly in front of them and they are repairable.

The down side is slipped disks and torn ligaments, fiddling about with myriads of settings, warm-up times and running costs. The up-side is no self-respecting burglar is going to nick it even if he can actually lift it from the premises, heats up the room nicely and does not give you a headache just a sun tan with all that radiation. Still at £59 it’s a throw away item.

:nervous:

Went to a friends workplace where they had a few CRT monitors they wanted to get rid of since they replaced the CRTs for TFTs because of space management.

One monitor, well they had more than one of it, which caught my eye was a 21" Hewlett Packard with a FD Trintron tube and a silver facia.

It really caught my eye so I thought I'd go home and research the model number.

Turns out that the model is a P1130 which is the same as the Sony CPD-G520 :laugh: just what I wanted :) so I ended up paying £65 pound for it :yowch:

It was used for about a year and has been in storage ever since in anti-static wrap. Its immaculate with no scratches anywhere.

Manufacture date is Feb 2003 so its still under HP's 3 year warranty :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the help.

I think my next monitor will definately be a TFT though, this thing is huge!

Attachments

• myhpmonitor.jpg
    myhpmonitor.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 68
I have the Diamond Pro 930SB (NEC is same but discontinued) - also, black is best for monitors. I arrived at the decision to buy this one after 2 weeks of research. I'm very happy with it.

Any comments on the monitor I posted? Or have any suggestions, I don't want to spend that much....no higher than $150 for a flat screen 19in CRT.

Thanks.

Glare will probably be objectionable. Linearity and pixel convergence may not be very good. You get what you pay for. $139 for a no name monitor and I don't expect much.

The Samsung Synmaster are good monitors running $179 regular at bestbuy. Watch for a sale/rebate at a local store and it should drop below $150.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back