real world half life 2 performance : first look

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Sazar, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7826

as has been bandied around a lot since the first days of the nv30 being paperlaunched back in november of last year.. it would appear as though nvidia's broken hardware is actually catching up to them...

first Lara croft : angel of Darkness... now Half Life 2... next ? halo I would presume...

unless the new det 50.xx's come out with the global 'optmizations' and shader replacements they are widely expected to drop with... it is highly unlikely the hardware will be able to handle the performance of the new games to same level as ati's dx9 compliant hardware... basicallly any r3xx based silicon...

all of you looking to do some shopping based on products to run the next big games coming out... consider your choices...

bogus pr or working silicon...

enjoy...

[​IMG]

btw the 9600 above is a 9600PRO... and resolution is 1024x768...

p.s. there will be more information coming out soon enough... within a day or two... I highly expect nvidia to issue a fudged up PR statement along the lines of broken drivers or something... but lets wait and see :)

2. Sazar

some more information... surely interesting to a few of our forum dwellers...

from tech report...

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2003q3/valve/index.x?pg=1

so much for the fair IQ comparisons...

further

as we know... the dx9 api has a minimum precision of fp24... therefore we are already below that for nvidia hardware running with the FX core...

HOWEVER... here is a GOOD piece of news for nvidia gf4 ti card owners...

[​IMG]

as we can see... the gf4 ti 4600 is almost as fast as the 5900ultra in dx8.1 performance and is WAY ahead of the gf FX 5600 series...

will keep you guys posted on details as they emerge...

3. Sazar

nvidia's official response :

point of note..

/me shakes his head @ nvidia's PR statement...

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Wow...that TechReport article is so explicit of the situation. If I weren't saving up for a wedding, I'd be looking at a 9800 right now...