Re-installing problems on XP - help!!!

T

Tw@

Im having a problem with older games on XP.
I am able to install them on to the system alright and they appear to run properly (apart from Alien Versus Predator, which I couldnt get to run properly for the life of me) but when I try to load them up later by inserting the game disc, instead of firing up on autoplay it attempts to install the game again. It doesnt appear to recognise that the game has previously been installed.

This doesnt happen with all games and especially not newer games (post XP) but it does occur enough to seem like a genuine XP bug, does anyone else have this problem and is their a fix for it?

No, Im running XP Home only. It was a clean factory install.

The games install properly (except Alien V Predator) and run. They just dont recognise that they were previously installed if I insert the disc a few days later. Its been like that since I bought the machine and it isnt so much a problem as more of an annoyance. I can exit out of the set-up program and start the game from the start menu after Ive inserted the Disc.

I thought more people would have had this problem also though.

Originally posted by Proletariat
This worked for me....On xp I could not even get quake 2 to install. With a dual boot I loaded it onto the other OS then copied the shorcut over to xp. In xp hit the shortcut & away it went. Of course this will only help if you are dual booting.

How do you dual boot????

I'm using boot magic not the one that comes with xp. WinME is fat32. XP is NTFS. Another partition is fat32.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
I'm using boot magic not the one that comes with xp. WinME is fat32. XP is NTFS. Another partition is fat32.

hey hipster i really am computer illeterate and i wonder if you could guide me through the steps i need to do
contact me on sillybollocks72@hotmail.com

Look on the xp-erience tweaks and guides section.. theres plenty of info there.

Let me know in here if you still need help. I'll try & get back tomorrow.
I just had a very wierd thing happen. When I clicked on your email address I got a message saying that something was not compatible. Then IE windows were trying to open everywhere. Then I ctrl + alt + del & lose everything on the screen. Shortcuts, start menu, task bar, it's all gone except the office toolbar. I had to create a shortcut through there to IE & here I am. Stupid Computers. AAAHHHHGGGGG
Anyway if you still need help I'll look in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back